Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help 58 impala fuel guage issues.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chavezk21, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I replaced the fuel tank in my moms 58 impala. Due to all the crap in the old tank, replaced the sending unit also. Have had said sending unit out several times. At this point I am beyond frustrated. unit seems to work out of the tank, but when goes back in the tank nothing. no fuel gauge. Have ohmned out everything etc. Last time I put it back together with an extra ground. Gauge worked, no it does not again. I checked the float, does not seem to have anything in it.. What the hell am I missing? is this just a bad sending unit?? AAAUGH!

2. greybeard360

greybeard360

How are you testing it out of the tank?
    Have you grounded the wire to the gauge to make sure gauge moves? (This is the ground wire for the gauge.)
    If you connect the gauge to the wire that grounds the gauge to the sending unit, ground the sending unit and move the float does the gauge move?
    If all that checks out, the float may be dragging against something in the tank. Some tanks have a baffle that surrounds the sender to keep sloshing fuel from causing an erratic gauge. If your tank has one, you could be hanging on it when you install the sender.
    Double check your ground wire first !!!How did you attach it to the sender? What did you ground it to?

3. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I checked to make sure that gauge was moving by moving float up and down with the nephew watching the gauge go empty to full and vice versa. It is grounded at factory spot close to the tank straps with star washers. I even added braided ground from body to frame and included a ground to screw on sending unit, plus the spade coming off the sending unit. Tank does not have a baffle. Exact factory style baffle. This is just leaving me baffled!

4. greybeard360

greybeard360

Only thing I can think of is to buff the metal where the ground wire is connected and make sure it is nice and clean.
    Shiney metal good.... dirty metal bad.

"Tank does not have a baffle. Exact factory style baffle."

Now you have me baffled..... LOL

5. Does the gauge needle just lay on E? While fully installed clip your jumper wire to the sending unit wire terminal and ground the other end. Then turn the Key on and see what happens. Should go to Full.
    The Wizzard

Chavezk21 likes this.
  6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Laying on E because no gas in the tank?......Sorry, had to ask:D

7. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

It does jump to full when fully grounded Wizzard. And tank is full. Has clean metal with sar washers. As of this afternoon Hubbards Impala is replacing the sending unit. So...change it out and see.

Sent from my SM-N920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

9. Went to Hubbards Impala web sight and looked at the photo of the unit you got from them. I'd closely inspect the connection between the wire that comes off the rhe0stat and fasteners to the bottom of plate that mounts it to the Tank. When you tighten the external wire you may cause a seperation of the fastener making a loss of connection inside. that would make an open and loss of signal.
    The Wizzard

10. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

geopol likes this.
  11. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

One thing to consider is the OMHs. When I changed the gas gauge on my 64 El Camino, I had ro change the sending unit (float) so the OHMs would match. Otherwise, the gauge wouldn't work right.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

geopol likes this.