Register now to get rid of these ads!

help.49 ford clutch and lightening

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnnyboy, Oct 12, 2006.

1. johnnyboy

johnnyboy

i'm assuming this is the place to post up tech questions. so here we go....
    i'm thinking my clutch is about to go on my 49 ford. 8BA block, and 3 on the tree. the clutch felt fine,grabbing high untill it just wouldn't get into gear one day. (i'm not a burner) i had to adjust my clutch so it grabs low on the floor and i get a frequent click sound when i let up on the pedal. everything is origional and now 60,000 on the odometer.
    i tried the google search for a clutch and came up bumpkus. so i was wondering if anyone has a good place to order a quality clutch from.
    secondly, i was also looking for input toward lightening the flywheel since i'm already in there. i appreciate the benefit of reducing rotating mass in a engine and was wondering if i should send it out for a shave and balance. plus is there a considerable difference in wind out/accelleration? and will i have to do anything to the front of the engine to compensate... on top of that... how much should i shave off to keep this puppy streetable/daily? i don't plan on doing major mods to the engine unless it blows. so ultimately... should i... or shouldn't i??

2. Retrorod

Retrorod

I got a clutch from Kanters, price was ok and the thing works great. Be advised, there is a core charge. Flathead Jack also stocks clutches, he even has a diaphram type pressure plate for those who feel the old "long style" three finger units are too stiff.

With basically a stock motor I don't see any advantage to a light flywheel but I like balancing everything I can.

3. johnnyboy

johnnyboy

thanks for the tip. i have a kanters catalog and wow are they pricey. i'm assuming they are quality, but some of the parts i've bought, i paid half of what they are asking for. (not from pep boys)
    lightening the flywheel is usually a "last to do" thing after modding an engine, but i'm still looking/ wondering if it would wind out any bit faster.
    i'll be sure to check out flathead jack...

4. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

If you think Kanters is pricey, wait 'til you see Jack's prices.

Check all the vendors - Mac's, Sacramento Vintage Ford, C&G, etc.

Don't overlook your local clutch rebuilder either - check the yellow pages!

5. johnnyboy

johnnyboy

thanks alot ernie. i'm new to the looking for old car parts scene so i'm looking for as many companies to look into as possible.

6. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Good thread going on the MSN old Flathead site about lightening the flywheel on a '49 or '50 Ford. Concensus seems to be 20# is a minimum weight because of the weight of the car. Less flywheel weight will cause it to be harder to leave a stop light.

7. flathead4d

flathead4d

I just bought a new borg warner eleven inch clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and pilot bearing for my fullrace flattie for $ 146. Got it all at a local parts store. John

8. johnnyboy

johnnyboy

can i bug you for the name of that store??? i am on a budget and will end up submitting to such a commercial location due to the total savings. that is a killer price and can not be ignored. half of these places want a core so i know i'm getting my balls beat for return shipping. then waiting for the core money to return.

blown49.... thanks for the input..... i think i may have run into that on a google search. it was a really basic thread giving plenty of info... i was hoping to get some first hand on here though. i'm definately wanting to keep it streetable so i will keep that weight in mind.