Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help - 225 slant 6 guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaxx, Feb 20, 2009.

1. jaxx

jaxx

Just scored a 225 slant 6 from a 77 chrysler with an auto trany - and maybe a 66 dart with a 225 slant in it to - plan to put one into my scratch built 25 dodge - any input would be greatly appriciated as I have never hot rod built a 6 before. I am using the rearend from the donner chrysler also - the trany and rearend are in good shape but the 225 needs reworking and the 225 from the dart (if I get it ) has been hot - so help me with the best way to rebuild one of these slanters. - Jaxx

2. 9.5:1 compression and a 2 bbl intake!

3. Tony D.

Tony D.

4. crapshoot

crapshoot

i believe offenhauser or somebody had a 2x3 set up for the slant six.Doug Herbert has a race rebuild kit for them w/some cam options. i would find some split exhaust manifolds also ditch the auto trans and stick a manual in it.

5. GTS225

GTS225

Warning!! Rotating parts will not interchange between the two engines. In '76, Chrysler started building the slant with a cast iron crank, and the big end of the rods got a bit narrower, with rod journals to match. Before '76, all slants had a forged steel crank. If i'm not mistaken, you'll also have to pay attention to crank pilot sizes, too, as there was some size changes somewhere in the 66-68 time frame.

As was suggested, and I strongly second it, go to slantsix.org and register there as a user. The amount of info available will be indispensible to you.

As to the suggestion for split exhaust, you can get them today, made by Doug Dutra, (known as "Doc" or "Doctor Dodge" on the slantsix site)

If you get to be a more serious enthusiast of the slant, you'll also learn that in '80, the slant got hydraulic lifters, and the system can be retro-fitted to earlier slants.

I'll let it rest at that......just my 2 cents from a fellow slant enthusiast.

Roger

6. Have built many. Great engine. Decide what year and begin. Any will take all you can wack at it. Cylinder heads and compression are two areas where you have the most to gain. Some guys out 198 rods in a 225 for decent cpmpression. since they just happen to be the right length to raise the piston up to a more reasonable level. (It is down the hole some right now.
    I have one in my sr dragster but it is bored to 3.56 " which was an experiment. 030 should be enough for a street job and 060 on these hurts nothing on earlier motors Tis true about pilot hole in rear of crank. earlier motors were smaller (1966 and earlier.) I had mine remachined for a modern converter. Cost me $20. Great project and will be wonderful.