Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help*** 216 Flywheel bolts stuck, any tips??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dmac620, Nov 2, 2010.

1. dmac620

dmac620

I am in the middle of swapping out my 216 to a 235 in my Chevy. I have the 216 out of the car and now I am trying to remove the flywheel from it. I am unable to break any of the six flywheel bolts free. I slightly rounded off one of the bolts and decided to call it a night.

Any tricks or tips to remove stuck flywheel bolts to make this easier? Also, what methods do you guys use to lock the flywheel in place to keep it from spinning while working on the bolts?

2. hotflint

hotflint

I had mine hanging in the hoist and had one guy hold the balancer with a rod through the teeth on the balancer and another guy hold the engine from rocking and used a flex handle with a piece of pipe on the end for leverage, they can get pretty sticky!

3. ironpile

ironpile

Good idea to use a short 6 point socket along with the other stuff mentioned. Good luck:D

4. squirrel

squirrel

don't they have lock tabs on some of them? if so, you gotsta bend the tabs out of the way first

I usually use a non-worn out 6 pt socket on an impact wrench.