Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help.....1962 Chevrolet Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RUSTEE 57 GMC, Nov 6, 2011.

1. RUSTEE 57 GMC

RUSTEE 57 GMC
    from Tennessee

I am thinking about buying a 1962 Chevrolet truck. It is a shortbed fleetside truck. No motor or Trans. Any help on where to look for trouble spots or hard to find items that anyone can think of would be appreciated before I buy it. Also does anyone know if the grills on these trucks will interchange say like with a 1965 or 1966 Chevrolet truck? I know that the 62 Chevy truck is not that popular as far as other years of Chevy trucks goes. Just asking for some advice on matters before I buy it.
    Thanks very much!

2. F&J

F&J

The grilles interchange, but each style of grille uses a couple of different holes drilled in the grille support panel behind the grille. Easy to do.

These rust out all over; cab supports , inner and outer rockers, doors, front kick panels, floors, rad support at bottom, grille support, inner and outer front fenders, horizontal seam on fleetside beds...etc

Those 60-62 torsion bar trucks were the best riding ones around. Balljoints are being made now which cost more than 63 and newer joints, but not too bad.

No motor, no trans.... if it was standard shift, it needs the correct bell housing with the clutch slave on the passenger side.

3. RUSTEE 57 GMC

RUSTEE 57 GMC
    from Tennessee

Thanks very much for the Info. Anyone else have anything else to add to this I would be grateful. My plans are to drop in a V/8 and and Trans. and get it going. The cab is pretty nice. It was an old fire truck cab and fenders and hood. All the parts are now on a 1/2 ton frame. I did not know about the Balljoints and the Torsion Bar on these trucks. I learn something new everyday even though I am old. HA! Thanks so much again for the Info.

4. If its a 1960-62 1/2 ton frame underneath, I would go ahead, and install a newer IFS on the frame while the engine is out, cheaper parts, and have disc brakes. I'm going to be doing this to my '62 C10 swb hopefully this winter, she's got too much go, without the whoa. ;)

Also if you are going to run a automatic trans behind the v8, the crossmember for the bellhousing mounts to will need to be cut out for interference. I used a set of V8 tower/mounts from a '69 c10, if using the torsion bar IFS, you will need to drill holes in the saddle, and on the frame rail.

Ton of parts from the 60-66 Chevy & GMC trucks are interchangable, but there are some specific items to a certain model/year truck that will not interchange. You might have to drill a hole or two to mount a different year grille properly. I ran into this problem a few times.
    Dave

5. RUSTEE 57 GMC

RUSTEE 57 GMC
    from Tennessee

Thanks, Dave for the advice. I did not know all of this about these trucks. I seems I do get smarter everyday! HA! Please keep me posted on your truck as it develops with your plans for it this winter. Look forward to hearing from you.
    Thanks!

6. These guys are right, the 60-62s are torsion front suspension, and went to coils in 63. For that reason the 63+s are a bit more popular.

Also, while many many parts are interchangeable it should be noted the difference between the 60-63 and 64-66 trucks. You may or may not have noticed, but, the doors, windows, and dash parts are not interchangeable. Take that into account if you intend to purchase any parts trucks for certain parts.

I have two shortys that I'm currently working on. Ones a 63 short box stepside, and the other is a 64 short fleetside. I also have a factory 65 Napco longbox, a 60 Suburban, and a 60 panel.

Really look the underside over. The cab mounts, cab corners rocker panels, and floor can be pretty bad. Also check the front wheel wells, all over the inside including the fenders themselves. Finally, I'm not sure if yours has the eyebrow hood or not. Sounds like a mixmatch of parts, but, if it does look that hood over really well. I have RARELY seen one that wasn't on its way to turning into a pile of useless rust.

I personally love these trucks, and think they are the pinnacle of American truck building.

7. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

I had a 61 for years, but it was a frankenstien. I really miss that parts nightmare!

8. I've only owned '63 & up Chevy trucks. I'm sure you could go with any standard transmission or clutch (mechanical or hydraulic) set up. As far as rust areas, the corners of the cab, beneath the front side kick panels too. Look up a patch-panel site and you'll get an idea on what parts are frequent flyers.

Bob

9. RUSTEE 57 GMC

RUSTEE 57 GMC
    from Tennessee

Man, I did not know that the doors, windows, dash, etc. would not interchange. I was counting on finding parts at the junkyard and i thought that they would work. It is very nice to know all of this in advance for sure before I purchase any parts that I would not be able to use. I guess unless you have owned one yourself, people like me would assume that the parts would work on their truck since they look somewhat the same. I am glad you have you as friends! Thanks!

10. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i don't know how easy it is to put the 72-87 front end in the 60-62 but my 63 was a piece of cake, and if i had changed the ilder arm i would have not have had to drill the two holes. as for as the rear cross member it is the same i used a 77 model and no problems didn't even have to drill any holes. best of luck to you.

11. Peteone

Peteone
    from So.califas

I need to replace my front suspension to stock where can I get parts or at least a diagram for help ? I know it has torsion bars and not coils just never with a torsion suspension