Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hello, I need help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Morningmist, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Gone over to the dark side....

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Pretty disappointed with many of the replies to the OP. But can't say I'm surprised that some can't just give a decent response, or no response at all. This is why a lot of young guys don't feel welcomed into our hobby.

3. The best response to the original question was to find his dad's ol buddies and talk to them. Everyone of us know that there are guys in that circle that are talking about their late buddy's car and wondering what it's fate will be. They will know the most about it, and I wouldn't doubt that one of them would buy it. If @Morningmist is looking to get rich from selling this car, it's not gonna happen. You can ask a fortune for it, but it'll never sell. It's worth what you and a buyer agree on. If you have zero desire to get into the hobby, stick an $18,000 price on it and see what kind of offer you get, but if you're thinking that this might be a hobby you want to pursue, especially in memory of your dad, you've got the perfect start.

alanp561, Lil32, bchrismer and 8 others like this.
  4. 5window

5window

All the best advice was freely given. Get it titled,get it running, ask your dad's buddies about it. Now the boys are just having some fun. Don't be a cranky pants.

5. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got a really warm welcome to the HAMB as a FNG that didn't know my ass from my elbow when it came to car parts and tools. Thought that was the standard but I've learned it ain't.

@Morningmist, your pop left you a cool little nest egg. What are you planning to do with it? If you want to sell it, some pretty good advice has already been offered on checking it out and prepping it for sale. It will be worth a lot more running than not.

If you think you might want to keep it, it will need some things to be roadworthy... don't feel daunted by the project before you. These cars are stupid simple, you don't need any mechanical aptitude to work through them and wake them up - just guidance and patience.

I'm your age. A year ago I had never turned a wrench, 7 months ago I bought a badly deteriorated Model A and now have a running driving hot rod that's almost street legal. It is terrible but I am still learning and the HAMB has been here for me the entire time, in fact if not for the HAMB I would probably have sold the crappy engine I bought and never even got started on my hot rod journey. We can help you, ignore the crusty old dudes... they're just jealous.

Whichever route you take, talking to your dad's friends is a good idea as some of them are almost certainly car guys and more than likely familiar with the car. I won't presume to know the specifics of your relationship with your dad, but if it's sentimental at all, hanging out with some of his buddies over cold beer as they help you wake his car up is a great way for you and them to remember him. If it's not sentimental, well, it's still a bitchin little hot rod.

I don't think that drivetrain is exactly on topic for this forum but maybe if you stick around and get the hot rod bug you'll stick a Ford flathead in it some day. ;)

Welcome to the HAMB!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  6. Put the Koolaid down young man. Dumping a blown v6 for a flathead would be a serious breech of hotrodding etiquette. Old hotrodders were always looking for more horsepower, hence all the OHV swaps between the frame rails of those so-called HAMB friendly cars. Just because the drivetrain doesn't fit the narrow parameters around here, doesn't mean it's not a hot rod.

Jibs, Just Gary, bchrismer and 4 others like this.
  7. Come on guys, just give him some descriptive words (for his ad) and a for sale figure. That's all he wants, it should not be too hard.

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

30/31 A on 32 rails with 32 grill shell. Appears to be a Chevy Eagle radiator emblem.
    Odd or even fire Buick V6? [Underdriven] 4-71 blower (Larger pulley on top), count the teeth to determine ratio.
    Post some photos of front and rear ends, suspension, brakes etc.
    Is there an interior etc, filled roof?
    Tyres could be old and outdated, not safe to drive on if it's been laid up for a while.

Lil32 likes this.
  9. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was just being cheeky. That engine is cool.

Joe Blow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. I for one am glad Lloyd gave up his Halloween avatar. This thread had me laughing- especially the get off my lawn comment. Looks like the hamb should add an on line auction!

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  11. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Must be a full moon with all the snarky replies. OP, sorry to hear about your dad. The pain doesn't really go away but you'll find solice in the good times you had with him.. Short story time;
    Back in the late 80s I had an OT Nova that was pretty quick, I could beat all of the new Mustangs and Camaros at the local "midnight strip". Then the Buicks showed up. A couple mechanic friends worked at the dealership and they sure knew what they were doing tuning those turbo cars. I miss those days.
    My opinion if you don't mind;
    Even if you are not a car guy, even if you are overwhelmed with the car and all the unanswered questions, I would still keep it.
    Right now it is not costing you anything (if you have storage) As others have posted see if you can get some help from family and friends. Advise is usually free too. Who knows, you could end up enjoying the car and this great hobby of ours

12. 5window

5window

I believe you are pretty quick to judge. There's nothing in the OP's postings that he wants to sell it. It was his dad's and he wants to know more about it. Here it is on the HAMB. If you just Google pricing a hot rod, there are more hits coming up that are better suited for that. But, he came here instead. I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt and offer some advice-along with a few digs, for this is, after all, the HAMB. If he does decide to sell it, we have helped him out and possibly directed him to someone who will appreciate it more. We've also had an opportunity to awaken him to hot rodding. I have no issues with that.

13. Based on the engine I would say your car was built in the late 80's or early 90's V6s were all the rage then.

They fell out of favor by the mid 1990's. If the engine has any major trouble V6's are very expensive to rebuild.

What do you know about the rest of the drive train? What are transmission and rear end can you post photos?

Knowing what they are is very important as well.

14. Hopefully we get more photos. The firewall looks very smooth. Is this a steel car? Interior and chassis pics would help narrow down a price. Looks like an aftermarket frame and chassis set up. Could be a fun car.

15. You're still on my lawn..... :p

16. OffMyLawn.jpg
    And if that doesn't work take this.
    TOW launch.jpg
    Seriously, @Morningmist, condolences on your Dad passing. A lot of us are probably his age or older and this site is full of us. Some are retired Military and feel a little initiation to see if you are worthy or just passing through. As has been said. you returned and have some useful answers and asked for additional information. Try and get that information and come back to this thread and work to get a good approximate of what you have. It was special to some one, your Dad. Nothing is free in this life so work to get the information and come back. Visit other forums on this site and maybe some will interest you. Look around in the "Antiquated" forum as not everything there is automobile related.

17. Budget36

Budget36

morningmist>house>gone.

18. Someone comes to the H.A.M.B. looking for advice and is met with a bunch of J.R. high school dipshitnees!!!

Bigmac48, impala4speed and loudbang like this.
  19. Yup. I don't understand it. Someone is need of help. Hot rodders are supposed to help each other out. Some did try and help, but some didn't. We are all in this together. We should all act like it.

impala4speed and loudbang like this.
  20. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some guys can’t see past the ends of their noses.

loudbang likes this.
  21. With all due respect, the OP didn't come on here wanting to know anything about his 'hotrod' other than what it was worth. He wasn't interested in what changes could be made, or even what was involved in getting it roadworthy. He wanted a $$$ amount, and maybe help selling it. Maybe he was fishing for a buyer, maybe not. But, since this place gets a couple dozen posts a week with the phrase, "what's it worth?" in the first line, membership tends to get a bit jaded. But that aside, since anything 'new' doesn't really follow the 'traditional' vibe of this place, why should a FNG be treated special, and not in the 'traditional' HAMB way.

alanp561, warhorseracing and Budget36 like this.
  22. If you or anyone else had read his post is reads "I am not much of a car guy, but I'd like to know more about what's going on here and what things might be worth" he says nothing about selling the car!

You and several others assumed (and what happens when we do that!) he wants to sell it! He could be trying to figure a value for collector car insurance, tax purposes, etc... He never said he was the sole inheritor of the car, he may have wanted the car but need to buy someone out.

And no this car wasn't period correct, but he might have caught the bug and became a period correct hot rodder, but now because of the douche nozzle comments he likely thinks of period correct hot rodders as a bunch of sophomoric jerks.

upload_2021-10-22_22-0-4.png

clem and 5window like this.
  23. 'what things might be worth' seems to have that old familiar ring. But time will tell. Who knows, he might be back here with that blown v6 yanked out, and a full dressed out flattie in it's place, sportin' steelies with bias ply wide whites. If that happens, I'll be properly chastised. Till then I'll stick with the assumptions.

alanp561, warhorseracing and Budget36 like this.

24. Crap @Lloyd's paint & glass ..... could you post that other avatar again, I'm not sure which shows your 'best' look. Leave your lady's alone, though, she's nice to look at. You??? eh, no comment!

25. 5window

5window

It might not be totally HAMB, but I think it would be a shame to pull that motor and put in a flat head. Then, you've just become a cookie cutter. How many flatties do you see vs a blown V6? There's not much about that car that says traditional HAMB, but ,as mentioned, lots that says traditional 1990s. Why not leave it?

26. Farmers and internet users need to learn how to sort the wheat from the chaff. I would say the OP got a bunch of good information, and some generous offers of help. Have we established yet if it is a steel or glass body? A magnet would establish that. Post a few more times on the hamb, list it in the classifieds, iron out the ownership, and the market will tell you what it is worth.

27. He's gone. I feel used like a cheap whore. Lol

28. At least you have grass!

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  29. -Brent-

-Brent-

@Morningmist, I'm a Model A guy and the first thing I would suggest is to take some more detailed pictures of it. Right now it's tough to give an opinion with information we can see in the pics.

A shot from the back, each side, a clear shot of the dash, the seats, the trunk, if you could get a pic or two of the underside, the rear axle, front axle and suspension.

There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here who could diagnose the details of the build and give a lot of insight to what the approximate value could be.

I'm truly sorry for your father's passing.

Joe Blow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. You ARE a cheap whore!! Well, maybe not cheap, but inexpensive.