Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hello from Reno

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by rory_a, Jun 4, 2013.

1. rory_a

rory_a
    from Sparks, NV

Hi all, name's Rory and I'm a long time lurker, fresh convert from air-cooled VWs and modern performance imports that just picked up what's left of a '26/27 T Touring. Planning on a very slow long-term modified build - young baby, busy work schedule and no money means time and budget dictate build.

Anyway, here's what I'm working with:

[​IMG]

And a couple old projects for shits and giggles:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. choptop40

choptop40

Hey hey rory, looks like a lot of fun ahead...that's the thing about building a rod , the planning , ideas , etc..looks like you have the skills and desire...best wishes for you and your family...mac

3. Welcome from CT!

4. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

Welcome from Oklahoma!

5. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

welcome Rory! heres shot of my street buggy. Never had a vw in my life. I'm now sold on what can be done with them little motors. (Built? 1776) Goes pretty good but nothing like the 1835 in my beach buggy. It comes on like a scalded dog. Scary Quick! seems like it wants more r"s.
    Let me know when ya start after that modified. Got pretty good stock pile.

Attached Files:

• 027.jpg
      027.jpg
      File size:
      501.5 KB
      Views:
  6. rory_a

rory_a
    from Sparks, NV

Thanks all!

That buggy looks a little Roth-inspired, I'm used to seeing Meyers-styled bodies. Unique and classic!

I've done two pan-off VWs - the green rag and an embarrassment of a rat roadster that I can't find pictures of. Have also owed/built a dirt Baja, two driver Ghias, one project Ghia and a vert Ghia in similar condition to the 27, and a couple other bugs. Plus, a beat up '64 Chevy C10 longbed. Time to stretch my legs with some old American iron.

I'm on a mission to find a good deal on a 4" dropped front beam with rear spring, spindles and later split bones. Because the "body" came with a posi GM 10-bolt rear with what I think are Buick brakes, I'm leaning towards picking up a set of Buick fronts. Have always wanted wires and always loved finned aluminum brakes - so I think that's my route.

I don't want to do much with the body until I have frame rails mocked up and wheel base set (hoping for 96-100"), engine in place to determine firewall location. Frame will be fully fabricated, just the axles and bones will be bought. Then I can figure out what's usable from what's left of the body. Figuring the front seat back will be the new rear body panel (original is shot up and kicked in). It will have a lower kick up than the original rear panel, but similar curvature. Also hoping to pull off a quarter elliptical/four-link rear with floating fuel tank/hidden battery box...

Might have a line on a lower mileage turnkey SBC, so if I can pick it up I'll try to track down a Camero T5. I'd love a flatty or even a 289/302, but might not be able to pass up this deal if it happens, and it'll be years before I can afford to rebuild a flatty.

Will likely wait to start on anything until I have more garage space - already parking the lady's car in the street, don't need to lose another garage spot, but definitely (obviously lol) collecting ideas.

7. Veach

Veach

Welcome from Texas and good luck on that Build and have some fun with Her

8. rory_a

rory_a
    from Sparks, NV

Thanks Veach.

Still doing a lot of research - or trying at least... doesn't seem many leave the touring bodies as four-seaters. While I understand and share the desire to cut the long body up and create a modified, I'm torn as I'd like to be able to cruise with the kids. There simply aren't any/many clean and proper Tourings/Phaetons out there, of any year - especially Ts :(

But Paul Gommi did such an amazing job with his I feel determined make the narrower, shorter, more awkward T body into a hot long car.

If anyone has any links to build threads, ("stock") Touring or Phaeton threads I'd be much obliged - can't find anything and need inspiration!

9. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Nice VWs, not ones I usually see around though. Enjoy your new build.

10. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

good luck with the project,and welcome from Sparks/reno.

11. rory_a

rory_a
    from Sparks, NV

Thanks guys - good to see some locals on here.

Both of those VWs (and all of my prior cars) have been gone for a while - I finished the green car a few years ago and sold it last year - it paid for suspension, wheels, interior, etc. for my STi driver/autocross car. The blue car has been gone for a while as well - not sure but I think it might now be two-tone brown/beige, lowered a ton more (I think flat floors), still on the stock smoothies, running around Reno/Sparks/Spanish Springs.

Hoping to get the 27 off the ground soon - need to find a front beam, spring, radius rods, etc., to get a mock-up going.

Ferdie at Ferdie's Classy Chassis in Sparks helped my dad build his '66 Vette. I've been helping him out for the last few weeks and will eventually begin building the 27 chassis in his shop. Chassis plans are perimeter frame, pie cut front, 4" drop I-Beam, top mount spring with beam just behind grill; 10-bolt GM rear, Z'd frame, rear-mount T spring and shocks.

Just need to find, and afford, parts. Fortunately, there's not much that'll in the area so I'm not stumbling across good deals I can't take.

12. welcome to the board ....

13. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

If you aren't aware of them and not that your guy isn't the way to go, but check out Miller's Chop Shop over off Glendale, on the right before you get to Summit Racing. I have to think there's a ton of resources and information from those people for your project.
    They're great people. If you go, tell 'em the guy with the white Studebaker wagon sent you over. (though it won't get you a discount;))

14. rory_a

rory_a
    from Sparks, NV

Thanks ... JFreakofCorn

Leo - I've spoken with the Miller's guys a few times in the past and I'm sure I'll be picking their brains quite a bit on the 27 and probably scrounging whatever parts I can from their collection. They and Ferdie talk often - one of them came by Ferdie's shop last weekend actually. Nonetheless, Ferdie's been at it for 40 plus years, and while he's not a traditional rodder (primarily NHRA-spec'd drag chassis and street rods) he's built a few over the years - but few know of him as he's quiet and content to have a small shop and work from referral.

Over time (low budget promises to delay any progress at this point) I'll be building the chassis for the 27 from scratch and performing some significant body modifications/recreation with his help rather than going to him, or anyone else, to do the work for me. I also have the opportunity to work on several other ends of the chassis/resto work spectrum - from a work on a pretty ratty '46 Ford truck rat rod to a resto/bagged, fabricated MII/S10'd '51 Chevy AD truck.

15. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Welcome from NC and best to you and yours!

16. hotrodpontiac

hotrodpontiac
    from Arizona

Welcome from Phoenix,like the vw's

17. rory_a

rory_a
    from Sparks, NV

Thanks guys!

Picked up some Model A parts - beat original grill shell, hood and hood sides, chopped sedan windshield frame that I plan to adapt to my T cowl with fabricated stanchions. But, the T's on hold til I have the finances for a front end and rear spring. And, until I decide if I'm building a Modified, or a Touring.

18. We are ever so thankful of that. :eek: