Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hello From PNW

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by darms, Nov 5, 2020.

1. darms

darms
    from PNW

I'm David Arms henceforth darms & my avatar is the ArmsBros '53 Panel. I'm retired & on the NW coast. What does "Thread Status: Not open for further replies." mean? Did I step on some toes somehow w/my hydroboost steering fix post? (didn't I have a 'stark terror' tag? That was for real, I could tell some tales...) Really didn't mean to, frankly had I known of that fix in 2017, my truck would now have 30K miles instead of 4K. Is it the wrong kind of vehicle for here? It only looks ugly, it's all 2006ish underneath, more of a resto mod than a rat rod...

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  2. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Hello from Indiana and yes your topics of IFS and LS and modern type of gear doesn’t fit this traditional hot rod site (pre-65 mods and vehicles). The mods locked your first post and I’m surprised they didn’t just delete it. I mean here’s the deal: you started posting and didn’t even bother to read what this site is all about but you’ve been a member for 2 1/2 years. A few years ago you would have been shown the door quickly and probably without good manners. These days you might just be ignored but maybe someone might tell you what I saying. This doesn’t mean you can’t be here and enjoy and learn. I own four cars and only one fits the guidelines (and even some might disagree) but I’m here to learn and better understand a more traditional way of building a car. Either way, hope you stick around. There are a lot of good people here. Take care. Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Looks like a fun truck, but like both of these guys have explained, it doesn't fit the guidelines of this site. Stick around though. It's a great place to be.

4. darms

darms
    from PNW

I spent a lot of time reading your rules & guidelines, sorry if I missed something. I dunno, the change in this truck's handling after turning down the hydroboost pressure to the rack was just so amazing I felt almost like evangelizing! Even more amazing is that I've scoured the nets for quite some time (years, really) and that article is/was the first mention I've come across for this. I guess LS motors aren't everyone's cuppa tea but they come stock with a number of spendy bits (roller cam. CTS, EFI) that we used to call speed equipment. I personally would rather have this new stuff in my hot rod than the old 216 six & beam front axle. Could you just remove all my posts and add this hydroboost steering fix as a tech note somewhere? My mechanic, Chad @ Larry's Speed & Custom, Fort Worth TX had done a number of these LS conversions yet did not have a clue about the steering problem nor did GM, Flaming River, FatMan Fabrications or anyone else I contacted. It was a serious safety problem that made this truck all but undrivable at speeds over 45-50 and I don't want to see anyone get hurt. Ok? Now I'll go back to lurking...

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  5. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Yeh I completely understand your conversation. I’m not a moderator so I can’t help with anything besides basic advise. It’s just that this information won’t be super useful as it might be on other forums that cater to those upgrades is my point. You can still participate I’m sure like many of us do that don’t have completely H.A.M.B. friendly vehicles. I’m here for the junior and super stock threads as that’s my jam. Have a good weekend. Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. darms

darms
    from PNW

Just wanted to share it w/someone! :) HRM doesn't take letters, subscribing is a waste of time, even noticed a hydroboost article here only it was people not using the power steering...

On another note, as you are "Unique Rustorations", any suggestions on keeping my trucks patina? It's got POR15 all on the inside sheet metal and all over the undercarriage. Any ideas for a matte coating that will stop the surface rust? Now that it's driveable I'm ready to hit the road. Also wipers, while the wiper motor is electric the arms & blades are garbage. Looks like a 1988 Jeep Wrangler has 11" blades that might work. Ever hear of a swap like this?

7. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great truck! I love these...built one for my wife a while back (and then sold it out from under her):eek: It also had an un-mentionable front suspension...which is OK...just don't talk about here. Same with the LS...it's OK but just don't show pics or mention it. 54-48.JPG 100_0094.JPG panel2.jpg 11.jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. darms

darms
    from PNW

Great pics! Mine is a bit different, my younger brother found this truck quite a few years ago, either had time but no money or money but no time. While he had a lot of unfinished projects this one he seemed to have cared about the most. (picture this, 2 months from dying of liver cancer, he by himself put a rear axle on this making it a roller. Wow, showed me what he cared about!) When he died in 2014 I asked him how he wanted it to look, he told me to leave it like it is so I did. (Hence my passion for the steering fix!) So any suggestions for keeping the patina w/o sanding it? Thanks in advance...

9. Use the search function. It's been covered so many times it's in the beating a dead horse category.:rolleyes:

Unique Rustorations and darms like this.
  10. darms

darms
    from PNW

Looks like it's time to try the boiled linseed oil and acetone mixed 50/50, been using GibbsOil but not real thrilled w/the results...