Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hello from Houston

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Spyder, Aug 13, 2006.

1. I’ve been lurking around for a while, and I want to express my admiration for the skills and creativity on the HAMB. I hope that some day I can have something to contribute. Some of the stuff in the tech archives really blew me away! I am really into making stuff myself, because I have to, and because I never feel attached to something that someone else made. I think maybe you know what I mean. Like may folks I’ve been into VW’s and muscle cars.

I got really lucky with my model A. I got paid to take it away. My dad bought some land and the deal included an escrow of $1000 to clear out some “erosion control” junk cars. These were 3 prewar incomplete bullet-riddled cars. I off-roaded my ’65 mustang over there and stuffed the model A pieces in the back.

There wasn’t enough of the roof to use, so I had cut it off. I cut the car down the middle (right through the gauge panel), widened everything 3”and welded it back. I made some doors that were 6” longer, and shorted the quarters 7”. I reshaped the radiator shell a bit, and I have been trying to work out a grill.

When I had to move into a 1 bedroom apartment for a while, the car body got to stay in the bedroom with me and my wife. A 3rd floor apartment. Not many women are going to put up with that crap, and I know how lucky I am. It’s properly in a garage now. I have been banging away on it for 3 years, and it was mostly financed by canceling my cable tv, and bringing my lunch to work to save $.

I have tried to kept it low budget with an xj6 front suspension, and a Mark VIII rear. Ok, jag suspensions have been in rods for a log time, but there’s nothing old school about the rear suspension. I put together a frame from 2x4 tube.
    I hope to have it on the road in a few months, like up to Austin in the Spring.

Attached Files:

2. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Nice save. Welcome to the HAMB.

Doc.

3. 34underglas

34underglas

Welcome from Amarillo

Vance

4. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Howdy. Welcome. You are invited to the Houston HAMB Cruze night this Tuesday the, 15th at Jimmy's Place Ice house on White Oak. See the post in the general discussion board.

5. Nice work. Welcome to the HAMB!

6. boozoo

boozoo

Welcome from a fellow FNG. :D

Hey Vance/34UnderGlas... you ever see a maroonish 29 Ford Sport Coupe with a black top and an early hemi under its tilt nose?

7. 34underglas

34underglas

Can't say as I have?
    is he local?
    I'd love to see it

Vance

8. boozoo

boozoo

That's my dad... from down in Hereford. If you ever catch one of the Panhandle Car Council's shows or cruise-ins, he's part of the Slo-Pokes club. He'll also show up sometimes in a gray '29 Ford pickup.

Sorry for the partial thread hijack.....

9. skyrodder

skyrodder

Welcome man... what part od Houston? I am in the Heights

10. I'm in SW Houston, if'd done a little more research before I moved, I might have tried to get a place in the Heights. There are some nice rides sometimes at Otto's on Saturday nites.

11. 34underglas

34underglas

I get down to Hereford all the time. PM me his info, I'd love to see them both.:)

I'm lookin' for another project, especially a P/U, maybe he knows of someone...:confused:
    I try to get to the monthly gathering, but have missed the last 2:mad:

Vance

12. boozoo

boozoo

PM sent.... I think he does have a potential hookup on some old 32 or 34 Ford p/u's. But it's a "friend of a friend" thing, so you know how that goes LOL