Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Helix Solid Axle---Good or No?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bangerbob, Nov 5, 2014.

1. bangerbob

bangerbob

I can buy a new dropped axle cheaper than having mine sent out and dropped. They must be made outside the US. Any input appreciated

2. Look up Hoffman Group here on the HAMB. They've got a bunch of companies selling offshore stuff.

3. Fenders

Fenders

Helix is part of the Hoffman Group.
    Search it.

4. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Have yours dropped.

5. tjm73

tjm73

6. AS Dreddybear says,or buy American made.Okie Joe did mine...perfect.Support those in this lifestyle.

7. Cheaper is not better. Have yours dropped.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Helix + Hoffman = cheap useless garbage. I'm surprised that people have not wised up and that they ( The Hoffman group) are still in business.

9. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

I have heard of at least 3 aftermarket axles breaking in the last couple years. None for me.

10. cptn60

cptn60
    from Joke City

There are places to save money. That ain't one. Original Ford, or Chassis Engineering FORGED. Safety first.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AWW HELL NO!

Buy real Henry steel:
    [​IMG]
    Count the twists. This is a REAL Model A axle.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  12. krazee

krazee

I've seen one of these that broke, fortunately at low speed turning into a driveway. Forged is the only way to go and from a reputable supplier or as above get an original dropped.

13. trollst

trollst

There are a couple companies making forged axles and they're not expensive, I'd go with one of those.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As far as Helix quality these are photos of a Helix crossmember that a certain Hamber with a chopped 48 chevy pickup that looks totally like that one over there <<<<< to the left bought in a moment of being over adult beveraged with too much spending money in the kitty.
    [​IMG]
    e
    [​IMG]
    That is exactly how it came out of the box.

If you don't have a gennie axle to send in to be dropped, SoCal sells a forged axle for a reasonable price if you buy the plain one with no extra frufru. I picked one up on Ebay That had been a display axle in someone's shop for a a good price that is going under my Model A Victoria. They are a little bit heavy looking compared to a stock axle but the one I have looks great and I'm not worried about the quality.

gimpyshotrods and patmanta like this.
  15. uncle buck

uncle buck

If you read this and you will understand what crap you are looking at. Ths is one of many threads you will find by searching " hoffman "
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/autoloc-hoffman-group.507950/

16. Thanks for the pictures, Mr48. Helps substantiate that feeling in my gut, when I look at the stuff at the shows.