Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HEI in early cheby

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mt shasta steve, Jun 10, 2010.

1. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

I just pick up an HEI distributor for my '64 327 engine. Can I just gap my plugs to .060", or do the manufacturers make plugs for this switch?

2. The same plugs you have always used will still be fine unless you were about to change heat range soon anyway.

Ditto on the same gap, HOWEVER, to take advantage of the better firepower, most rodders and racers use about .045 gap.

I know GM factory started with .060 gaps for early HEI's, and the HEI with GOOD cap, rotor, wires, etc can easily handle that, many performance oriented people have found out the hard way that when using large .060 gaps, you MUST keep everything in good shape or the powerful spark will sometimes find it's way down an easier path.

Many racers have been using and reccommending about .045 gap because the spark is not easily snuffed out under bad conditions.

Use the same plugs that were previously good for your engine, open the gap quite a bit, and enjoy the easier starting, better power, and increased gas mileage.

Periodically check to make sure the mechanical advance does not get stiff or stuck. Sometimes HEIs have been known for that. Sometimes with a cheap rotor and too-large plug gaps, some HEI's have been known to "weld" the advance because of a spark that tries to escape to an easier path.
    Most good quality rotors have been improved to prevent that, but cheap ones are still out there.
    Sometimes a lack of lube can make the advance stick on the shaft.

An easy check is to pull the cap and twist the rotor back and forth. If you see or feel the rotor move ahead and then when you let go, the internal springs pull the rotor back to it's resting position, then you know the advance has not stuck yet.
    It is usually easy to loosen one that has stuck. An oil massage and hand excercise is all it usually needs to loosen up again.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  3. I love the HEI's. Toss a spare one in the trunk, no need to diagnose anything if you are on the road and lose spark ... one wire, a 9/16" wrench and you're back up and running. Just make sure you are getting a full twelve volts to the distributor, some cars have a resistor wire that drops the voltage. As for the gap, I agree with the .045. Enjoy.

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

And, just be careful that you don't use an "older" model aluminum hi-rise intake, as the HEI won't clear the rear runner on many of them. Some can be ground down enough to clear (the manifold), others, you're stuck with going to an aftermarket small diameter HEI, or going with something like a Pertronix unit for the stock point distributor. Butch/56sedandelivery.

5. Deuces

Deuces

It will fit the Z/28-LT-1 intake manifold. Also wouldn't hurt to buy an extra module and keep it in the glove box..... Just in case!