Register now to get rid of these ads!

heck of a way to blow up a tire (video)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boy_named_sue, Nov 4, 2006.

1. boy_named_sue

boy_named_sue
    from Dayton, OH

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

funny... the guy next door to me polishes big rig wheels. he had to dismount a few for polishing and was having a hard time getting the bead set. he mentioned this as a way to do it...

not something I'd do.. but I guess it works

3. Muttley

Muttley

Try it on your neighbors Honda. :D :eek: :cool:

4. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

i've seen that around the web a few times now and i've been wondering how the hell it works. the physics do'nt make sense in my mind but i've seen it several times now. i wanna know how and why!!!

5. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

Seen it done with starting fluid.

6. greatbg

greatbg

I believe it works like a small implosion. The fire burns up all the oxygen so fast that the difference in atmospheric pressure outside of the tire causes air to rush back in to fill the void so fast that it fills the tire.

Or some thing like that. I did flunk physics. (know just enough to be dangerous):D

7. 392_hemi

392_hemi

I think it works the same as a bead seater. Only here, the heat from the ignited fluid causes the air to expand and presto - the tire pops on the rim. I wonder what the pressure level is after they do that. My guess is it's pretty low.

8. rev383

rev383

Common in cold weather places where starting fluid is handy. I first saw it done in Antarctica in '81 to mount a loader tire. We've used natgas with no success and propane and acetylene with good success.

9. That was cool.

10. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

4x4 places do that all the time.

11. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

We used to do that all the time at the race track. I've never done it with the tire bolted to the hub though. It works really well, and I would do it again for sure. Its not a big deal, and is fun.

12. Cyric30

Cyric30
    from AR

LOL we do that once or twice a year on farm equipment here you just have to be carful and not blow you self up :).....i have always wondered who & how they came up with this in the first place

13. TRUCK_RAT

TRUCK_RAT
    from tulsa

the video said lighter fluid but ive heard of using ether too

14. this works great ive done it alot on truck tires and even car tires as long as your not a dumbass and empty the bottle on the tire ive never been hurt.

15. o forgot to mention ive used ether a few times it works real good

16. PSYCHOMOTO

PSYCHOMOTO

If You Are Thinking Of Doing This On Large Tires Then Do It On The Truck.i Tried It With Som 36 Inch Tires And Starting Fluid And When It Popped It Jumped Up And Almost Knocked Me Over.otherwise It Works Great.youi Will Need To Have A Pump Ready Though Because Its Only At Maybe 2 Or 3 Lbs After You Do It.and If You Let It Sit Once The Air Cools It Will Fall Off The Bead Again Because Its Not Powerful Enough To Set The Bead All The Way

17. 47bob

47bob

Note: That only seats the beads; you still have to inflate the tire.

18. My auto shop teacher in high school showed us how to do that... but I never had the balls to try it.

Sam.

19. Dutch Bastard

Dutch Bastard

They have been mounting Truck and tractor tire like this for years, The fire in the tire cause oxygen to rush into the tire and seals it. I grew up on a farm and on a 1/4 mile dirt race track and we did this all the time. We used Starting Fluid though.

20. ComingApart

ComingApart

Wow, a lot of misinformation here...
    You use ether (starting fluid). Lighter fluid wouldn't do it I would think.
    It works just how it's shown in the video. It DOES inflate the tire as well, you usually have to let some of the pressure out for an ATV or automobile tire, never tried it on farm equipment. Semi-truck tires will probably need some more inflation (the steers run at 110#)

It is dangerous and violates all manner of regulations, but it does work. You guys that aren't getting the tires up to full pressure must not be using enough ether.

21. metalshapes

metalshapes

Since you use the explosion to seat the Tire, what will be inside of it wont be regular clean air.
    Any chance the residue will do nasty things to the Rubber over time?

22. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

i was actually taught how to do that a while back. didnt know how many people actually used it though.

23. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

so if you put a lot of ether in there, then you will get enough pressure and not have to fill it up? speaking of ether, any one done ether fuel injected flame throwers on their cars?

24. cryobug

cryobug

Having owned a tire store for a lot of years I have done the ether thing a lot but a word of caution for those who try it, I had a customer that did it and didn’t have the tire standing up at the time of ignition, when it went off the wheel came up and caught him at the chin and raked his face off killing him. I had one of the E.R. nurses told me the details and it wasn’t a pretty story. After that incident I stopped the practice of using ether and strictly used Murphy’s oil soap to dam up the air between the rim and tire. My thoughts were that someone else might see this done and go home thinking they can do it and not do it right and some one else gets killed or maimed

25. rustywrench

rustywrench

...yeah, I think I would want it to be mounted on the car if I were gonna try that! Standing out of the path of the tire if it came off the rim.

26. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

we used to do that at this junk yard i worked at. i hated when they had me do it. its preety scary when your right next to it. Im glad i still have my face.

27. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

When we had our Monster Truck (Buffalo Tremor) that's how we would re seat a bead.

28. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

If you have an air hose handy, be ready to quickly get air in the tire after you set the bead with ether. Otherwise as the air cools it contracts and can pull the tire back off the rim.

Also if you don't get it the first time, the oxygen in the tire is gone so you need to blow air inside the tire or it won't explode when you try it the second and third and .....

A little common sense goes a long way. Before you light it, think of where the tire is going to go and where it could go. Keep body parts away from this area.

Neal

29. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Yep pretty easy to do deal. Doesn't work on small tires though. And doesn't really work in warm weather either.
    I've seen the tires pop off the ground when lit, but never JUMP off the ground. I'd say they used to much ether. It will work with pretty much anything flamable. But you want it to be something that burns fast, so starter fluid (ether) or lighter fluid are the best.

The trick on lighting is throw the match at it, or tape a match to a stick.

Heres a cool pic of the action, and using a shop heater to light it off.
    [​IMG]

30. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Found two Youtube videos to show how this works. A good one, and one to show the dangers.

The good one

The one of the perils