Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Heavy Pos & Neg cables touching long distance ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

You're right of course, I didn't explain that as well as I could have. My shop manual sez no more than 0.5 volts during a starter cranking circuit test, for example, between the positive battery terminal and the starter terminal. Then different voltages are allowable between the different ground cables and connections, between 0.1 and 0.3 volts. It all adds up though, to no more than a volt total allowed.

What I've found though with good cables and clean tight connections it's pretty easy to beat these numbers. My main point was to warn that an ohms resistance test isn't very useful at all here.

2. Yep, Pocket Nick has it right... electro-magnetic solenoid near the battery with a relay so it’s not hot all the time... I️ don’t want any circuit Hot ALL the time... I️ have relays on both headlights and both radiator fans also... think about all the resistance in all these runs of wires... you got it Pocket Nick

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Right on F&J , add up all of the resistance at all of those connections and how much voltage loss is there from front to back? Electrical runaway...

4. Right on Truck 64... exactly... Finally...