Register now to get rid of these ads!

Heavy duty sway bar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dangulo, Aug 20, 2013.

1. dangulo

dangulo

Rebuilding most of the front suspension on my 51 mercury: king pins, tie rods, drag link, new coils, and new shocks. I am interested in installing a heavy duty sway bar. The only one I really see is one from Jamco. Has anyone installed one from Jamco and would you recommend?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. cb186

cb186

I bought both front and rear from them for my 52. First, they have terrible communication. They charge your card but don't tell you it will drop ship in a couple weeks.

My second problem is that I'm not impressed with the fitment. After drilling a coupe holes in the front crossmember for the mounting U-bolts, the ends of my swaybar touch the a-arms. I talked to and email one of the guys there about the fitment issue but haven't heard back after the last email I sent him. Finishing it has been low on my priority list for the last couple weeks, so no progress has been made. I kind feel like moving the bar forward 1"-1.5" to make it fit like I like. To be honest, I had lowered it before ordering the bars, I woulndt have, as that helped the handling a ton.

3. dangulo

dangulo

Thanks cb186,

I might just buy new rubber parts for the stock sway bar/stabilator bar from mac... Dont know of any other manufactures that make one for that year and make

Appreciate your help

4. A Rodder

A Rodder

In case you haven't, check w hellwig.

5. cb186

cb186

Hellwig is who makes them for jamco.

6. hottweelz

hottweelz
    from So. Cal

Helwig Manufactures our Front 49-53 Ford Front, 49-51 Ford Rear and 49-51 Mercury Front and usually ship with in 48 hours of order being placed.

7. I have installed more than a few and they work well but on a no bagged car or a very lowered one the tires can rub on the sway bar limiting full turning. I have recently made my own 1 1/4" sway bars that will clear at full turn even when slammed. Should have the first batch avail in about 6 weeks. Her is pic of the Jamco / Hillwig bar insalled. Will post some pic of mine soon.

The Ericksons / Extreme Kustoms 951 678-3520

Attached Files:

8. dangulo

dangulo

Thanks for the help everyone.

Ok I will say that I am rebuilding all stock suspension and steering linkage with the exception of the heavy duty sway bar (if I was to go that route). Would adding the heavy bar stiffing up the ride where it becomes counter productive versus leaving the stock bar?

9. slammed

slammed

Dude. it took me 45 seconds to find this link on Google.

10. dangulo

dangulo

Thanks, did see that site