Register now to get rid of these ads!

Heavy Duty Engine Stand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BashingTin, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Fenders

Fenders

That's what I thought... sign and date it, deeply engraved, so 100 years from now some hot rod builder will know who to thank.

Belongs in the machinists hall of fame.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  2. DAMN NICE !!!
    YES it will last forever....
    Make a name/date brass plate for that beauteeee.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

4. Now thats using your head for something other than a hat rack. Great job!!!!!

5. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

WOW! That's a KICK ASS engine stand!!!!! I LOVE the fact that you built it out of whatever you had laying around! -- We think alike!!! I built mine (like you) out of scrap I had access to.

You definitely have some ideas I may have to borrow!!! Versatility is fantastic!!!!!

For those wanting to build one but are lamenting not having the tools - I submit the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PDPTKcTv7o

I built that one 20 or so years ago - entirely out of the scrap bin at work - I had nothing other than a 1/2 hand drill, a hack saw and 110v Mig welder. Even the motor was scrap (it failed our QA - too noisey). I do however like your mounting plate - I may have to change that on mine - I even have a couple more tools now than back then!! ;-)

Very well done! I predict that you will smile every time you use it - I do with mine. I made a not quite so elaborate rear end/trans mount for my work bench. I had been told I wasted a bunch of effort in doing so - I couldn't disagree more - every time I use it - it makes the job WAY easier than wrestling around the way I used to.

Thanks so much for sharing!!!!

6. With your set ups you will be able to hold your block at every angle needed to polish it brighter than a new penny.

7. BashingTin

BashingTin

Thanks Jacin! Your stand is AMAZING considering what you had to work with!

So far this thing I built has been a dream to work with. You can load it up and there is no bounce or flexing at all. I don't even think about the stand. I just use it!

Thanks again everyone for your kind words...

David

8. hanover_fist

hanover_fist

Mr. Tin,
    I am also a machinist by trade, familiar with all operations you put together for an awesome result!. I am in the process of finishing up a 440 for the cuda, need a stand. May I have that one? Didnt think so, I must have missed where the dimensions for the frame were listed, If you could throw a rectangle around it and maybe c/l of shaft from floor, it would eliminate my guesswork here, Again, Awesome Job!

Thanks,
    hanover_fist

9. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I have an OTC engine stand for diesel engines that came with a front brace that bolts to the front of the motor. It has a hand crank for turning the engine around. Yours puts mine to shame. My hat is off to you.

Pat