Register now to get rid of these ads!

Heaven on Earth, or as close as ive come.. (Wrecking yard trip).

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dakota, Aug 7, 2008.

1. oldsman71

oldsman71

a lot of scrapping going on here,wish i could save more but i cant store any more stuff!!!

2. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, but at least the pictures that Dakota posted are available to buy and not headed for the crusher-----yet. All HAMBERS will be long gone before all the old cars stashed in the woods, hills, and plains are recycled. There are just too many out there. There are more junkpiles of cars and iron in North Dakota than I could find in a lifetime---and North Dakota has less than a million residents now and there were lots fewer when these piles of old cars were started.

States with larger populations should have larger stashes of old iron. You can't clean them all up. Scrap prices are falling but it's still profitable to crush cars.

Like the wise old hotrodder said, "I can only build so many projects before I die".

3. The trick to recyclers is offer them to pay the same price they get once it's processed for the complete car based on the scale weight going out. Strip what you want and bring back the carcass later. That way all a guy has to do is dump the carcass on your truck or trailer, no liability like if you're out there stripping something.

4. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

That '40 truck is rad. Love to see some more pix of that. Wish you were closer!

5. sv_i

sv_i

The same is happening here. Companies giving the "image" that they are "cleaning up the environment" by being nice and taking away "those old cars for nothing"... yeah right, they're making a small fortune from the high scrap steel prices.
    Unfortunately a lot of old wreckers have closed and crushed everything. Those pics are great.

6. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

Breaking my heart again, its like going to the dog pound, you want to bring them all home with you!

7. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

Ahhh, I see Dakota was out at my dads salvage yard again. Yes there is a lot of old goodies out there as he has been in the business since about 1957.

8. guyontheHAMB

guyontheHAMB
    from chicago

A few pictures I took...

Attached Files:

9. guyontheHAMB

guyontheHAMB
    from chicago

Some of my scores, '39 pedals, Olds aftermarket motor mounts and a dual point distributor that came out of an old hot rod. I love getting parts with a history behind them...

Attached Files:

10. rg171352

rg171352
    from New York

Back at school there was a junkyard that was mostly new stuff that would crush old cars from time to time and also put them in with the others. In my senior year they finally started corralling them together to let people pull what they needed. Although some old cars still get crushed, enough were saved that I couldn't feel bad about it. I pulled what I needed and got some parts for other people.

Now I am switching to a new school I am hoping to find a junkyard with anything decent in it. Anyone know of anything near albany NY?

11. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

Awww. I spent some of the best times at one of our pre-65 yards before everything got crushed. I miss it there. After I bought the Desoto I used to drive out there on my days off and visit it until I got it home. To get a back bumper we had to use a torch on the bolt in about 4 inches of dried pine needles in July...Man I miss that place. It had really good juju. Our other pre-65 yard is owned by a grumpy old sexist bastard. He deliberately quotes me higher because I'm a woman. Oh to have Hopkins back...Enjoy that yard!!!:D