Register now to get rid of these ads!

Heaven on Earth, or as close as ive come.. (Wrecking yard trip).

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dakota, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Well a club member and i went on a small tour of my hometown and my favorite wrecking yard. I was practicly raised there. 40+ acres of 20s-70s fords mostly but LOTS of everything else mixed in. Mostly 50s and 60 FOMOCO stuff. I have been out here since i was a baby(quite literally). My very first car came from here in a trade deal, i stripped a 46 Merc to bare steel and he gave me my car(1949 chevy buisness coupe). The guy is getting up in age, and is just recovering from double hernia surgery. so we didnt get to spend as much time there as i wanted but we got what we needed, another trip is already planned.

Im sure some of you guys know about this place, but im not gonna blurt it out, call me greedy or whatever, but this is my Nook.

In the trip we got a st of 39 pedals, some olds parts, and my friend picked up a complete 56 Olds 324 with #10 heads on it.

heres some pics.

Attached Files:

2. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

more pics...

Attached Files:

3. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

a few more..

Attached Files:

4. Frank

Frank

I'm jealous. Can't find any old wrecking yards around here anymore.

I'm surprised you haven't snagged that Whippet radiator yet. Looks like someone had those Edsels covered at one time until a roof blew off.

5. DYSFUNCTIONALJD

DYSFUNCTIONALJD

isnt keeping places like this secret bad for the hobby? people are always posting about another junkyard going to scrap. maybe if people would share what they know about good junkyards, other people could go out there too and buy more parts, keeping more of these places in business.

6. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

Frank, head north on I-35 and just around Denton on the west side of the hiway is the CTC Auto Ranch. I noticed it one day when I drove up to Oklahoma to meet TbirdBrian for an interior I bought from him. The yard is HUGE and FULL of oldies.
    Here's the link:
    http://www.ctcautoranch.com/

Good luck!

7. Frank

Frank

Yep, that place is well known but from all I have heard they are really expensive, they charge $5 admission just to go in, and no matter what you buy, no refunds or returns.

Then again, I'd pay more than that to get in most auto museums so I guess its worth that. If I were really hunting for something right now I'd probably go there. I just want to walk around some old tin. :)

8. jimmyv

jimmyv

If he's getting old and in bad health you better grab everything you can now. You know what is going to happen once he is gone and his kids get it all. They see quick $$$$ and call the crusher.

9. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

This guy has no trouble staying "open" he does international sales, and he dosent even advertise.

He is a one man operation, and moves pretty slowly these days though.. but there is absolutely NO risk of this place being crushed, it would be auctioned before that happens.

One of my Fondness memories of this place, is one day he went up to his shed, pulled out a bunch of NOS Mercury Boxes, and showed me a 100% NOS Fuel Pump, Log, 3 carbs, intake and air cleaner for the 1958 Mercury Super Marauder Tri Power setup.

10. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

wow, i got a ton of PMs about that whippet...

I might try and get my hands on that the motor in it is loose, maybe we could get it running?

11. Muttley

Muttley

Whats the deal with the hood sides on this '40?

[​IMG]

12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

You certainly grew up in a good part of town!

I sure do miss good yards!

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Whats the deal with the hood sides on this '40?

looks like 37 ford passenger hood side grilles to me

15. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I can't believe all the converts left in there, especially the 41 Ford.
    Big money on that?

16. hollowpoint

hollowpoint

[​IMG]

a 59 ranch wagon??!!!
    do you know how freakin' rare that is to us here in sunny so calif??
    and the glass looks good still??
    would make a cool surfer wagon.

later dudes
    chuck

17. jimmyv

jimmyv

If his prices are "right" I see a bunch of stuff I'd be hauling out of there.

18. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

what is that below the 40? looks chopped...early custom jobby?

19. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

2 -50 olds conv in the same place . what a find.

20. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

no salvage yards that cool up here id go broke from paying the $5 addmition fee

21. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

yea those olds converts are cool, one is a Flat 6 one is a 303.. kinda werid. The 41 Convert is sold, just awaiting being picked up, that car is just a shell there is NOTHING there other than a body doors and decklid.. it is gutted

22. ...that's a one ton or larger 40-1 truck hood I believe.

23. 53 effie

53 effie

I gotta an idea I drove by there in May. Didn't have time to stop... would have taken HOURS before I got back on the road!!

24. No, it's a 1/2 ton that someone bolted 37 hood side trim on. Teh bigger truck hoods are completely different, theres no way it would fit.

[​IMG]

25. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

No the guy had it right, it is a 40 ford 1/2 truck with 37 ford car hood vents cut into them and welded in, its also got spotlight and other stuff, its an old custom/hotrod type thing...

26. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I shot these last week at one of the metal recyclers yards. We used to be able to buy parts here, but not any more. There are probably 6 crushers going in around a fifty mile radius of the capitol. You can buy parts from some guys but they usually don't want to hassle with it. Metal prices are way up and it's worth dragging in for scrap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

overspray, that makes me sad... even that i know where that is.

28. Wow overspray, theres some good parts in those piles!!!

29. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YUP. But we can't get it all. There are some guys that crush that put some stuff off to the side and save. I looked at a 1950-52 F6 Ford truck last Saturday that was set aside. I think the flathead will run if you clean and gap the points, put a battery in it and some fresh gas. Heads say 8RT. It turns over and all the belts and hoses are still fresh. I think it's spoken for. I bought a nice 39 Ford Pickup frame with pedals last week to use the X member on a future project. I'm going back to a couple other places to do some shopping. I'm waiting for some F1 and F2 pickups to be drug in so I can get some brake parts and hubs.

I scored these taillights-one inside a 47 Chev full if stuff headed for the crusher and one bolted to a 50 Chev PU for a taillight. The both must have come from the same place but the car they belong to was nowhere to be seen. I think they are some kind of Chrysler product--maybe Desoto. They are Extra COOL and I think I have a place for them.

[​IMG]

30. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Gezz, Oversprays pix are pretty heartbreaking. I see alot of cool parts there. I'd buy the bulletnose off the stude just to hang on the wall.