Register now to get rid of these ads!

Heating 33 Ford brake lever

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Dago, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

I'm going to be putting hydraulic brakes on my 33 Ford. (It's all stock so far).
    I have an Ansen master cylinder bracket and the rod for the master cylinder attaches to one of the levers for the original mechanical brake rods.
    It looks like I need to put a little twist in the lever so that it pushes in straight, not at an angle.
    My question is...
    Is it safe to heat and bend/tweak the lever?
    Thanks

2. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

3. banjorear

banjorear

'bout time. My quetion would be, what are concernced about? Think about all the stuff we do to forged Ford parts, bend steering arms, F-1 shock brackets, etc and most of that stuff never breaks due to being heated and bent.

The trick is put heat where you need it and bend it while its still red and cherry. Let it cool by itself and you should be good to go.

Of course, there is the possiblity that I have no idea what I'm talking about and you'll rear end that soccer mom in her SUV because I gave you bum advice.

You've got a 50% chance of either outcome. Good luck.

4. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

Just want to be sure.
    I'm "assuming" it's forged and that I can heat and bend.
    The shaft part is very short, maybe 1.5".
    I'm thinking I'll heat the whole shaft and give it a gentle twist, maybe .25"

And then I'll ass end soccer mom on her cell phone!

5. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Just don't over heat dull red in daylight is enough,just use a bigger wrench etc. Over heating is what gets you into trouble.