Register now to get rid of these ads!

Heater how to, (Make your Momma happy)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Da Tinman, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Thats funny!
    Are the knobs brushed stainless? They look like drawer pulls? I almost asked "Why 3 knobs?" Then remembered the 2 fans on the defroster hoses. Nice job. (We yoopers are quite reserved.)

2. Glass_Packs

Glass_Packs

Just a quick question - when wiring the computer fan into the car's wiring harness, what work will be involved? My 1962 Ford will be a radio delete / heater delete car, but I still need a defroster setup. Where the air ducts are located on the dash are the exact size for a 92mm computer fan. My main concern is the thickness of the computer wiring, I will also be running the computer fans (2 of them) off a toggle switch.

Thanks!
    Tom - Glass_Packs

3. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I would worry about those 12v computer fans.

First of all car voltage is 13.5 - 14.7 and will spin those fans a little fast, accelerating wear.

Second is they are made to start up at room temp, not "very cold" when you need it.

Third they are usually cheap Chinese junk - take this from a computer guy - and may not survive the summer heat and bouncing of a car.

So maybe look around to sourcing a fan from an actual car part, I don't think you are going to get a full year out of a computer fan in this application. (Sorry to be so pessimistic)

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

err no..it is a 200mm? i think

i will look on it and see tonight, if i find a number i put it up here

5. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I've been using smaller computor fans to cool my sirius reciever in my daily for years, I get 2-3 years out of them so I'm not that worried about lifespan in a non daily use.

As far as wiring, the wire for these fans in not much bigger than a sewing needle! The combined total amps for all the fans is .7 amp, I added the indicator lights to increase the load so I could find a fuse that would actually pop if something goes wrong.

I dont have to route the hoses around anything, they exit just above the bellhousing. The left side is the low pressure side, it goes to the left rear of the intake. The right side is the high pressure side, it runs along the valve cover to the water pump.

The knobs are brushed nickle drawer pulls from home depot, 3 bucks each.

3 knobs, driver side is the main fan switch, center is temp control, passenger side is defrog fans.

Thanks again!,, and as for how to make the switch cover,,, well there might be a tech week coming up lol!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  6. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

DaTinman... I saw your ESD last night... he dropped off an awesome banner he printed up for me and I gave him a quick tour of the warehouse I work at.

He filled me in a little on what you've been doing to the hot rod.

He speaks highly of you. :)

7. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I never said he was smart.:D

8. JAWS

JAWS

"Yes its a little off kilter, I will fix it when it comes back from paint..."

It's not the only thing off kilter......:D

9. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

me neither, but he sure is proud.