Register now to get rid of these ads!

heater blower motors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tunes48, Feb 10, 2013.

1. tunes48

tunes48
    from Kamloops

I'm planning on using the original 6 volt heater which has 2 motors. One for the floor and 1 for the defrost. This is in my '48 chev p/u truck which I've changed to 12 volt. This heater came with the truck. It has the metal plate on the front that says GMC Master. I've never seen this type before. My question is ...... where can I get 12 volt fan motors that will fit this heater ? The defroster motor is a bit smaller than the heater motor. No room for modifications on the housings. Has anyone ever seen this type of heater before and if so, what have you done for 12 volt motors ?

2. You don't need it. It doesn't get cold in Kamloops.
    They will run fine for a long time (years) on 12 volts. Easy fix is a simple 12v to 6v reducer. On EBay for $3-$5. Get the good heavy aluminum one. And they do get hot!

Attached Files:

3. cakes

cakes

pictures would help

4. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have a good auto parts store (i.e. knowledgeable staff) take the motors in and they will probably be able to come up with something, that is what I did, then you have a new heater motor.

5. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

6. belair

belair

I had one of those heaters in my AD. Just run it on 12 volts, no big deal.

7. Exactly. DC isn't to picky about voltage. Same goes for your wiper motor.... except they will be way to damn fast!

8. good info, I have an old Ford heater I'm tring to bring back to life,

9. Chrysler ignition resistor. Grab a bunch at the junkyard, they'll probably be free. Wire into the power feed, and you're good to go. Make sure they're mounted on metal, because they will get hot.

Or buy the pricey one. Its exactly the same, but works 'better' because your wallet is thinner.

Cosmo

10. cartoon14

cartoon14

the last on I did was a 40 Plymouth PU got the motor from Advance, not a stretch, heater cores are harder to find for the old stuff

Fasco DC motors catalog

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  11. tunes48

tunes48
    from Kamloops

Thanks VoodoTwin, Apartswarehouse shows something like it on their site. I will contact them. Yes, Belair and Chopped51, I would run them on the 12 volts but both motors are seized up. I will take them apart and try to get them running, but I would really want a 12 volt one. Thanks CTFUZZ, I will also try McMasters as well.
    Thanks guys.

12. jimbousman

jimbousman

Not sure what your heater looks like or how much rework you want to do but when I dug this old heater out of the pile there was not heater motor so I fabbed a sheet medal base plate and adapted a heavy duty 12V computer muffin fan. Takes up less space and blows like the dickens.

Attached Files:

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd just run it on 12 volts.

show us a picture of your heater.

14. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Do you mean you can run them on 12 volts & it won't hurt anything? I have an old heater in my roadster,but could use a little more push from the fan. It is wired with a voltage reducer now.

15. tunes48

tunes48
    from Kamloops

As soon as I can fiqure out the photobucket thing, I will try to send pictures. Thanks guys.

16. boutlaw

boutlaw

Apartswarehouse is where I got a 12 volt motor for the Magic Air heater in my 52 F1.
    The lady even measured the motor I selected for me so I could be sure it would fit, and it did, and it was only $26. vs $200 plus for one from any of the F1 vendors.

BOutlaw