Register now to get rid of these ads!

Heat shrinking 16ga metal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Jim, Apr 25, 2012.

1. I would go with a wood floor. When I see diamond plate, I think industrial type construction. Looks good on a crane or concrete pump but not on a hot rod.

2. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Just an update, with a very hot and humid summer and me having asthma nothing was done on the truck until yesterday. I bought a shrinking hammer and have been working the three bulges from the edges out beating small area and shrinking the metal from the high side of the crown, and then cooling to the touch with air. The three alternating crowns are now worked into one smaller long crown. Another day with the torch and the first side will be ready for a shrinking disc.
    I got a 4-1/2" shrinking disc and lookin at how it should work - it should be ran flat on the panel. But my holding nut protrudes in the center, does any one know where to get a thinner Milwaukee backing washer and nut ?
    Also thank you every one for your help, This part of the build has been the second most challenging next to find the time needed to work on my truck.

3. maybelene

maybelene

I do it like 51 Henry J does it, too. Sometimes if its real bad, ice in the water helps pull it in and sometimes I drill a 1/4 hole in the top of the bulge which gives the metal a relief. It just has to be welded up later on. If really bad I sometimes cut a slot with a jig saw, work it down, then weld it up. Patience and good luck.