Register now to get rid of these ads!

Heard about a Hemi for sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Capt. Zorro, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Capt. Zorro

Capt. Zorro

A buddy of mine called me last Wed. nite about an auction this weekend of an old junkyard. He said that there was a 392 Hemi for sale in it. I called the owner and he told me that it was a "nice motor", he had bought it years ago and never got around to building it, wanted $500.00 for it. I drove down to look at it yesterday with visions of a usable engine.
    Well to make a long story short, his idea of a "nice motor" leaves a little to be desired. It was an old De soto as near as we could tell. When we rolled it over on the other side there was a hole in the oil pan where a rod had punched through.
    I thought I had collected a bunch of junk over the years but this poor bastard had me beat by a mile. Had piles of bald tires, old mags that were busted and rusty and a collection of junk engines that would be grateful to be made into boat anchors. Old rusty '80's pickup trucks and 4 door sedans. I don't think everything he had was worth $500.00.

2. You bought it didn't you? :D

JH

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Just as all 283s are Corvette engines, all Y blocks are 312s, and all flatheads came out of a Mercury, I guess all hemis are 392s.

4. brandon

brandon

i thought it was all 327's were fuelie vette motors....all 350's are lt1 vette motors....all 461 heads were fuelie heads....and of course...all 392's are 2 4bbl motors.....the hemi in my tub is a "supposed to be" 392 2 4bbl motor....in reality ....its just a sweet runnin' 354 ....which is fine.....it dropped the price from 1800 to 300 ........brandon

5. every HEMI for sale is a "392" haha, I've bought 7 so far and have yet to find a 92! I never pass up any Hemi that I can find. but NEVER pay the asking price for dodge and Desoto's

6. williebill

williebill

What junkyard are you talking about?? In East Tennessee??

7. sounds like my place don't remember talking to you. I do have a 392 (aka 276 desoto) that is stuck and the valve covers are rusted thru for only $2500 obo hahaha

8. Bugman

Bugman

I bought a "392" once. Got is apart, turns out it had been bored and stroked to 459. Gosh darn that false advertising..... :D

And, my LT1 is from a cop car, so it's rated at a bazillion HP:rolleyes:

9. a/fxcomet

a/fxcomet
    from Eugene, OR

"A" 392? I thought there were at least a half dozen in that deal you got:) Weren't they out of some farmers old tractor?

10. Cragganmore

Cragganmore

LOL! That's what I was thinking after reading his post. ;)

11. SnoDawg

SnoDawg

I had a 392 it was an international and wasnt a Hemi but it was a 392...

Dawg

12. Bugman

Bugman

Only got two plus parts out of that deal. And yes, they were out of...um...ah...old farmers tractors...yeah, farm tractors...that's it..;)

13. Capt. Zorro

Capt. Zorro

Yea Jim I bought it for you, I'll be off tomorrow you can come by and pick it up. I knew that you wouldn't mind giving that much for it, and you have plenty of room to store it.. ;^)
    The auction was down in Sweetwater Tn. Heard that the guy was getting a divorce and had to sell out. The farm machinery auction is in a couple weeks. Saw a nice double bottom turning plow and a disc harrow with about half the disc's broken. I'm sure that they will be rare and valuable antiques to him tho... Think he has Barnett-Jackson handling the auction, or was that Bubba-Johnson???