Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Heads up: Weird shit afoot with ads!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hey fellas, I am working on a new ad manager for the site. In the long term, this will not effect you at all if you are logged in. Again, nothing changes for logged in users.

However, today you might see an annoying ad at the bottom of the page while I install the scripts. Don't worry - this is temporary and will eventually go away...

No more to report.

Thanks!

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That annoying ad is up now... it won't be here long... promise.

lothiandon1940 and Tim like this.
  3. I just thought it was our crappy IT folks at the office!

4. squirrel

squirrel

I guess adblockplus works? I didn't see it.

Ned Ludd and oilnrust like this.

5. Man, I thought I wasn't logged in, it as annoying but I know you will get a handle on it. HRP

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I had an ad for the dealership at which I work...weird.

Malcolm, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’m seeing ads at the top of the page and the bottom too.

19Eddy30 likes this.
  8. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

still there 1 minute ago, logged in or not

9. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whew! Knew you had it Boss.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Must do it, I never see any ads on here....

Texas57 and squirrel like this.
  11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I don't mind. Just bought a pop up tent and a GMC. LOL

12. wicarnut

wicarnut

Here' A Million/Billion Dollar idea for you, Develop a software app we can put on our various electronics to remove All ads. I'd buy it in a heartbeat

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That's because you are logged in. I don't display ads for logged in users... Ever. You are welcomed. :)

If I did that, I'd get rich... really rich... and then I'd stop working and this place would go to shit.

If someone else did that, I'd get poor. Really poor... And couldn't afford to run this joint anymore.

Take your pick! :)

belair, vtx1800, j-jock and 18 others like this.
  14. I am logged in and that POS GMC ad is getting really annoying!

15. Thanks for fixing this. The ads are annoying.

Deuces likes this.
  16. bchctybob

bchctybob

Hey Ryan, I've been in the ads a lot lately and I noticed something I hadn't noticed before. When I view the HAMB and the ads on my phone or tablet the format is different so the prices of cars and parts don't show up unless the poster actually puts the price in the ad text. On the desktop or laptop the standard format appears just like when posting an ad and the price appears in the title/header. Maybe you should update the posting rules to have sellers include the price in the text so phone and tablet users can see them. I noticed that a lot of cars were listed with no price but then I looked at them on my desktop and the prices were there and lately people answering my ads were asking for a price when I knew I had put it in as required. Just wanted to mention it since the topic of ads came up.

48fordnut likes this.
  17. Whew! Good to know it is only temporary! Thanks for the update!

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That's a problem with Tapatalk - the company that runs our mobile app. The mobile app, for all intents and purposes, is useless in my opinion because it's so limiting. I think the site is much easier to use through the browser instead.

I'd like to eventually build my own app to solve all that...

alanp561, Outback, Deadbird and 7 others like this.
  19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I get asked this all the time... so I might as well answer it here as well...

Question: I use other sites with Tapatalk and everything is fine... Why is the HAMB implementation so bad?

Answer: Tapatalk used to allow you to roll your own App. And that's what we use right now... an old version of Tapatalk with the HAMB essentially laid over it. However, a couple of years ago Tapatalk went to their customers like me and essentially said this:

If you want to continue using our software from here on out, you must give us access to your user's registration information and your site's cookie so we can track them.

I'm a staunch supporter of online privacy and refused. As a result, they will no longer give me updated software.

I've wanted to dump the app altogether ever since, but keep the old version around due to all the users that rely on it.

20. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for doing what you can to preserve our privacy. So many sites require you to accept a cookie in order to proceed, and I usually just back out of them.

Bastards.

Blue One, Outback, 48fordnut and 5 others like this.
  21. New data point: I'm logged in and still getting the ads at the bottom when I display a new page.

lothiandon1940 and lurker mick like this.
  22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Every site drops a cookie... Including this one... However, we don't track you.

Most of the cookie warnings you get these days are just from sites advertising that they don't track you either... So, read those messages... often, they are positive in nature.

Yes, you should be... I am installing the scripts now and as such, everyone is seeing the ads. Once installed, I will then go back and set all the permissions so that logged in users won't see ads.

Blue One, alanp561, 48fordnut and 3 others like this.
  23. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

And here it was something I did on my end that started this. Good to hear it will end soon.

Deuces likes this.
  24. 5window

5window

I'm good. Thank you.

Deuces and warhorseracing like this.
  25. This is one place that I enjoy visiting. Ryan you and your people do such a good job running this along with others and rarely get a pat on the back. Well, PAT PAT! Thanks again Sir.

Blue One, Texas57, Outback and 3 others like this.
  26. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! I'm getting those GMC adds also.... First time I've seen an add on here since I joined in???? '09:confused::)

27. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yay from downunder , Ryan has found the add delete button . Anyway we knew it was temporary,it was very temporary.
    next Had you considered ....some ... adds for non alliance? But on the other hand I expected that will pee them off and they could drop away and we don’t want that.

Deuces likes this.
  28. Ah, the infamous "Ryan's People"

29. Ryan, I understand that the app is a PIA for you, and I think I understand about wanting to build your own app, (I’m probably the only 46 year old that is largely computer illiterate) but please keep the application. Currently, it’s the only way I can get The H.A.M.B., and without it, I’ll go nuts! If I have my phone with me, any brief moment of pause is H.A.M.B. time.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Try using your browser on your phone instead of the app... You might find you like it better. It certainly works better.