Register now to get rid of these ads!

Headliner in a 64 galaxie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tommyk74, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Tommyk74

Tommyk74
    from Nashville

I have a bowtype headliner in my car. The one in the car is starting to give way I want to replace it. Can this job be done with the glass in the car. Any tips for the job would help thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

If there is screw on trim fr and rr, yes. I believe that is how the 64 is. Keep track of which bow goes where, I usually file notches, 123 etc in the ends.. Jack

3. the trim is pictured here

Attached Files:

4. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

Looks to me that the rear window has to come out.. but I've been wrong before...

5. I had a headliner put in a 63 Galaxie years back and they did not have to take out any glass. Should be the same for a 64. I had it done because I did not want to fool with it. I did one once before and found out I wasn't very good at it.

6. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

Hold on... looking at the first picture again I believe I see screws in the trim... so I reckon I was wrong..

7. joe--h

joe--h
    from New Mexico

Don't know about the glass, looks like the rear needs out. BUT, for an absolutely perfect factory fabric match and a perfect fit Acme Headliner in Long Beach CA is the place. And you have 2 cars needing a headliner? Joe H

8. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

The back window does not have to come out!
    For sure like 56premiere said keep track of where your bows come out from not only in what order front to back. but also what hole , normally there is 3 or so holes that the bow can go into. I use a sharpie and circle around the rods before i even pull them out and label them front to back.
    those headliners are like window tinting work from the center out. Just take your time and dont rush it. want a great hint. leave all doors open and put a fan by the door cause you will sweat like bacon!! and want to rush the job.

9. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

No, you won't take the glass out of that car. The next warning is be very sure to mark or some how remember what length screw goes where. They will puncture the roof if to long. Jack

10. An old timer thathas been doing interiors for 50 years told me that he always wraps masking tape all around the bows then inserts them into the headliner. Says it allows the material to slide easier and not get hung up.

If you can find an assembly book from Ford it will give you the step by step instructions for installing the headliner.

11. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

No glass has to come out. Had one put in my 64 a few years ago.

12. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

56premiere touched a very important sucbject, screws in the right place.
    Cut a piece of cardboard, mark it with sharpie FRONT and you take a screw out stab it into the carboard in the order you take it out from.
    You can get all fancy and draw a picture of the trim if it makes it easier for you to visualize.