Register now to get rid of these ads!

Headlight switch knob removal, 56 Bel Air

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bman416, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Bman416

Bman416

I've located a new headlight switch for the Bel Air. My friend told me that there is a button behind ( or under?) the headlight switch knob that you press and the knob pops off. This will allow me to pull the switch out from underneath the dash after i pop out the washer deal ( for lack of a better word).
    I don't see or feel a button anywhere. Can any one tell me how to get the knob off without destroying it. Thank you.

Brian

2. The knob is on the switch, under the dash, somewhere on one side or the other, every GM switch just about since the beginning of time has one to disengage the rod the knob is on. It's small, round, and metal normally.

See if someone has a switch for sale on eBay and you should be able to figure out where it is.

Otherwise you have to look for an allen head set screw in the knob itself and loosen that to remove it.

3. 32HiboyRoadster

32HiboyRoadster

Most of them I've seen the knob is made on to a short shaft. Once you depress the button, pull on the knob and it will come out with the shaft.

4. Pull on the headlamps.reach in back on the side of the switch find the small metal button push on it . Then while holding the button down push in the knob to turn lamps off, then pull out and the shaft will come out of the switch. All the older GM cars are like this.

5. The Shocker

The Shocker

Here is a light switch from a 60 Chevy car that i had handy (should be simular) .My pinky is on the release button .Hope this helps .I know i need a manacure..

Attached Files:

6. belair

belair

You may also need to turn the knob all the way to the right ir left to get the shaft to come out. Be patient.

7. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

... and when you get the knob and rod out there is a threaded nut holding the switch to the dash... usually a large straight edge screwdriver will work

8. And if all that don't work pull the dash out, ha ha.