Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Headlight shields....period correct or not?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by strait8, Jan 6, 2018.

1. strait8

strait8
    from Skokie, IL

Wondering what style (if any) headlight shields are truly period correct. Seems that the half moons were cause I have seen some photographs of cars that have them but what about the eyelid/hooded or the ones in the pic below? s-l1600 (7).jpg

2. BJR

BJR

Back in the 50's and 60's in Minneapolis I never saw any kind of headlight shields on any car. And I went to lots of car shows and was always looking at cars parked on the streets as a kid.

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

upload_2018-1-7_13-1-47.png
    Not what you refer to but here's a beautifully restored 46 Olds with what I believe are later lexan headlamp visors. I have a NOS set in OEM box for display along with other period NOS items and accessories.

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Usually found on east coast & down south. Kinda in the same category as mudflaps & sun visors ...

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

J.C. Whitney-ish ....

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My Uncle had a 63 1/2 Galaxie with the chrome half moons on the lights back in the late 60's, early 70's.

F&J and catdad49 like this.
  7. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

I believe the half beams, as we called them, grew out of the WWII requirement that cars have the upper half of headlights covered. This was intended to make it harder for enemy aircraft to navigate by sight at night. My father covered out headlight upper halves with friction tape. I never saw the chrome half beams until after the war.

Poh, F&J, catdad49 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Colin HD

Colin HD

I would say yes, 1949 Cal Custom Catalog. DSCF6632.JPG DSCF6633.JPG DSCF6628.JPG DSCF6631.JPG DSCF6630.JPG

tofords, Stogy, biggeorge and 7 others like this.
  9. strait8

strait8
    from Skokie, IL

Colin HD....cool catalog! Seems like the visor/hood style and half moons are of the era. I remember meeting a guy who had a early-mid forty's Buick that had what I recall him saying was blackout trim. He said it was to make the cars less visible in case of an air attack during the war. Makes sense that the visors would be helpfull with that as well.

F&J likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was real young as in my pre teens you saw them on a few cars that were also junked up with curb feelers, light up hood ornament and extra reflectors and what not. The real hot rod or custom car guys didn't run them.
    Pretty much the ancestors of the guys who now go to Autozone and buy stick on port holes and fender vents and gaudy license plate frames.
    If I can find the photos of it I have a photo of my Dad's best friend's old roadster that had every bolt on thing you can imagine including some huge air horns. Dad and Lyle were 180 Degrees out when it came to what you put on your car. Dad's was lean and clean while Lyles had every doo dad that Western Auto had on the shelf.

zzford, Doctorterry, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  11. ironrodder

ironrodder

In high school I don't remember many cars that didn't have at least curb feelers and a necker knob. Hooded head lights were very popular on a '40's or '50's car. Western Auto wasn't that far from the high school and was owned by a gearhead. Of coarse they had the usual silly stuff.

F&J likes this.
  12. F&J

F&J

piss on the term Period Correct! I know that some will think I am bitchy? Well, Yes!,,at one point in my life.., and I bailed off of the main board here a while ago, as the assholes took over... Some threads demanding some sort of total BS about HOW a 32 to 34 chassis MUST be! putting f'ing rivets in, instead of just welding the damn stuff! Revolt! I say! :) Damn the torpedos! :) Build your car with your individuality ...JUST LIKE WAS DONE! Piss on how the Fk Doane Spencer did that car! He is not some Fn god....YOU are! :)

see?, getting up at 2am for a week to re-feed the woodstove at below zero temps here...that gives me time to "reflect" LMFAO..

pat59, PoRodder, stanlow69 and 4 others like this.
  13. khead47

khead47

^^^^^^^^^^ Wow Frank-tell us how you really feel !

14. Well you know Frank, some folks do like to build a car that is reflective and appropriate to an era - hence the term Period Correct. It doesn't mean you, or anyone else has to do that, but some folks like that and feel it is a way of preserving history. And in some ways Period Correct is another term from Traditional, which in case you forgot is what Ryan dreamed of this place to be. Of course part of Period Correct involves Proper Period Application as well - In other words just because some part, style or trend was available or done once in a while doesn't mean it's right for any or every car - for instance putting curb feelers on a "Hot Rod" - that would have got you laughed out of town in most places! There is a lot of crap that was sold thorugh JC Whitney, Pep Boys, Western Auto etc. that Never found it's way onto a REAL Hot Rod or Custom, but it sure found it's way on some Dad's DeSoto that he was trying to be cool with, or his kid thought would make that old man car somehow cooler. There is nothing wrong with building how you want (well, sometimes I think there is, but that is for another debate), but there is also nothing wrong with trying to stay Period Correct if that is what you are going after and makes you happy. ;)

15. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Period Perfect, Barn Find,Hot Rod,Traditional? Just words but not gospel. No one "back in the day" gave a shit about this stuff,they just built stuff.

16. Well, as Don said, period correct can be just period lame.

zzford, X38, Fedcospeed and 1 other person like this.
  17. That would account for your sunny disposition~:D HRP

biggeorge and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I like the looks of them. Especially when you have a gigantic chrome grille like this.

P9030013.JPG

19. F&J

F&J

I sure as shit do now! For unknown years NOW, I had lyme in my brain, it caused anger (on hamb here too!) for one thing, OK? LOL,,but now finally on meds I am different in thinking too! I went through life brainwashed by the generation that went through the Great Depression, which DID NOT crush the entire population, but my Father's fathers family home and backyard farm did go under... "how to live a life, how to run others lives, you name it! all wrong IMO for ME now. :( Anyways, there is so much good the in the world, more than ever before, if you toss that TV where it belongs! Being in the two hospitals, one med, one Mental, oh, The Connecticut State Trooper ...I feel badly for him, as I heard a car door slam in a very odd location, as I was way out behind my 90 foot shop.. I went laterally, and see a really stressed? or very concentrating officer, rotating around, not knowing where I was! He had totally false info on me! He was told I was imminently Suicidal and had "no reason to live". This is not my first pony ride with officers ... I knew I needed to let him know exactly which area of which building I was at, but far enough away! Got that done just fine,, Kept he and the next State trooper arriving, out of my home.. How? I won't say here. But they were both touring the shop as I was being strapped in the ambulance! Ok, "I learned life" in those hospitals, then joined FB, then found out that my own family sucks even worse than I thought, so I called them out on there and shitcanned them! Feels good too! So yea, I say what needs saying...why not, at 66 with Lyme that came so close to turning me into a brain damaged victim of a man made disease! I changed for the better, too late?..later is better than never!..at age 65 in all of 2017!

Danny, I am changed totally! I cannot go into details here, already in too deep on OT, Ok? I sure am different! I can't drink, not for 15 years now,, it messes me up like overtired, and I don't like or feel ok around firearms.. I just found out why a week ago, Yes I knew I was just missed by a accidental shot from an Ithaca 12G pump as a 11 year old? kid, my cousin screwing around trying to load it up>.. I had just told him "get the barrel off your toe!" I turned my back, it went off, missed me by 3 feet at heart level.. But I now know that that incredible noise in a tiny apartment room his folks had, the actual "vibration shock", and then the sheer terror of what might have happened? I blocked that intensely descriptive part out of my conscious!

went for the 2.5 week checkup at the Lyme Doctors this afternoon...but as I went there, I saw the mentally (un)challenged workshop and plants salesroom was open and lots of cars! Stopped in later when I was done! I will be spending time there , as the year goes on. I was given "full reign" today, to go where I want, any building, be with any patient! I was thrilled that Huggy boy Matt remembered me as he was outside being picked up for the night,
    100_2246.JPG
    ^^ Matt is the wee one!! LOL, Oh you need a hug, these TWO are the ones out of all of the entire group!

.....and Walter..he says "old Car?" twice when he sees me!, but I said "OLD TRUCK Walter!" today..lol..
    Walter from before Christmas..helping carry one gift baggie! I had him with NO staff member! I brought him back to the store, as a thank you to him. He had then, just lost his mom, but is fine!
    100_2249.JPG

100_2435.JPG
    I FINALLY got to see Elizabeth!! the 2nd of two in house cats !! I have been there so many times, but at 1.5 years old, she is out cruising! for something! LO...Pic is today, in the other greenhouse shop, they are starting spring plants now that gift making is done.

100_2436.JPG
    Going home time starts around 2.30 ish ,some go to group homes, some very few to parents, you name it! That shuttle bus is idling waiting for them to come out..

yea, like I now give two shits about making a car period correct??>> to which photo? of which 32? or from which year?..oh and which part of the USA or WORLD!! Hell, some on here even have the audacity to dispel the "little books" as NOT examples of real builds! What??.. My former, but now my Sons, '32 was never correct. It was a functioning "roll up windows" "style of a cabriolet made", not an authentic looking 32 body shell of one! ...made from a roofless 5 window shell! That NEVER ever happened back then, as a Cabriolet was unwanted 32 and CHEAP, so why waste years building one back then! I never wanted that thread moved to the traditional HOTROD forum for that ONE reason...so let's split hairs,,,NOT! Screw Spencers car??, Yes!, AS FAR AS a thing to COPY as traditional!....how many cars had that sculptured short step behind the axle? You get my point? MOST cars were built outdoors , in a shed, in a cow barn, so get off your high horses! I owned old 50s builds so don't misinterpret? with/from my words?...This entire post is not said to Danny HRP,, but to the screwed up "logic" that drives people away from the pure fun of a build you want to do, the way you can afford, or simply want to! I have changed! I NOW like all builds, all ink, piercings, all paints or no paints, don't matter...I go by the smiles showing from drivers or viewers!

I do not diss what the hamb was made for!! But, where do we draw a fine line or when will we stop arguing about what is or what is not...and go build something..and POST SOME PICS!! LMAO! most of you idiots can't read for chit, just like me...so pictures RULE! Bye! I need to carry wood! Chimney fire tonite? Hmmnnnn..

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    pat59 likes this.
  20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well..............okay.

As for the head light shields, the "Bomb" guys seem to like them.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  21. Frank, that was pretty wordy, but ultimately a very zen statement. Be warm and content, tonight.

F&J likes this.
  22. Welcome back frank

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

F&J likes this.
  23. F&J

F&J

I was telling my son about the Doctor visit here, but just now have added the important thing up top of that long post....I had lyme in my brain at least 20 months, BUT we now assume it was still in me from the first one way way back! It messed me up with touchy ANGER. so, don't judge me by way back, or some early parts of 2017!, as I was damaged !!...I might beat this brain issue, I think I can.. See ya

pat59 likes this.
  24. Yep, just a hot rodder here, checking in on this thread again. Learned something, that the shields had a wartime purpose. The custom stuff is always interesting to look at, even though it's not my scene.
    Frank - Keep the fire lit, dude. The cats like it warm.

F&J and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Good on you Frank!
    Still not sure where you stand on headlight shields and don't really care.
    Your story was well worth the time to read.
    From a former "nutmegger" KK

F&J likes this.
  26. F&J

F&J

Hey, listen...oh, oh there is that listen "word" agin' ..... I did fire up the stove with "mass consumables" today... a man needs to keep his pipe clean!
    100_2428.JPG
    all it did was "spew out some stuff"? see it on the snow? at least it is contrasting rather that "white stuff".. Oh dear!

ouchie.. Hey at the Docs today... There is that TRUCK again...It CAN'T be a patient!! It HAS to be one of my girls there!! Which one, maybe the real cute one that said she'd come to my birthday party?? I said no as I had too many girls lined up already! Oh baby, and I just said in the other post, "I like ink and ,..."...what was it? something else.. IDK?..
    100_2429.JPG 100_2431.JPG 100_2433.JPG 100_2434.JPG

27. RacingRoger

RacingRoger

I'm with you, only because "period correct" is too hard to define.... let's not forget about "east coast" and "west coast" styles. How many of you got accused of not having a period correct car just because someone didn't understand the difference between these 2 styles (and how many more styles were out there)?

28. Well, there's the gook wagon. I'm surprised that hasn't been mentioned already.

Chili Phil likes this.
  29. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Frank, it's good to hear from you. When I started reading your posts, I thought for a minute there that Germ was staying at your place and posting under your sign on! Didn't know you'd been ill. Hope you're feeling better!!!
    I'm tempted to ask you what your thoughts are on dummy spots...

30. F&J

F&J

Listen!, I'm tempted to tell the truth on those dummy spots, But I have more pressing issues to think of! Oh, It's all the women hugging me for shit, 4 weeks now? A man can only take so much you know! Come home smelling like perfume is what did me in!!!

.. Saturday, damn, .... finally,..the secret shows! You see one smile and then hesitate her busy walk?? WTH??,.... she sees Your Hot ROD!, ...er, ...um..well, the Ford!, ......she likes what she sees!!,.....ooooohh... she gives that slight taunting? or is it beckoning?? smile....oooohhh... Then you give her that little cute caterpillar finger wave...then BOIL em!! ...Tom Jones? Pffffttt..

Yes, I just checked the NWS Saturday forecast!!! 5o and sunny...!!!....I said in another thread? I dusted off my old wedding day fancy wingtip shoes! they fit!...I know where my sweeet ,,, oh...and "tight" in the right places, Wool slacks are... sorry, gotta GO..

pat59 likes this.