Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Headlight Restoration Options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jegbflat, May 12, 2017.

1. jegbflat

jegbflat

Hello, have a '36 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup project just about ready to fire and run for 1st time. I believe it would be considered a "resto-mod" as I've maintained original body but modernized everything else. Now have 12v system and time to consider lighting. I've read many good threads here with much technical information - much of which is over my head. So thought I would throw out a multiple choice question and hope to narrow my options for headlight repair/restoration/conversion? This is my first car project so learning as I go. The truck will not be a daily driver, nor show quality (other than local participation for fun). Limited use in parades and weekly drive-in events - probably very little night driving. Given that, my options seem to be:

1) resilver my reflectors ($350) and replace bulbs with 12v OR
    2) purchase new kit containing reflectors, gaskets, bulbs (standard), sockets & wiring ($130) OR
    3) purchase new quartz kit just like 2) except with quartz halogen bulbs ($110) OR
    ?? other options ??

Thank you in advance for any and all feedback!

JGiles

2. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

3. J, what I did on my 36 was modify the original reflectors to accept halogen bulbs then
    I had the reflectors recoated by UVIRA company, I dont know if there are still in buisness. They dont use silver but apply aluminun coating via a vacuum method for a more reflective surface. They look perfect and perform excellent. Mind you this was probably done in the early eighties and they still work like brand new. Hope this helps. Mitch

4. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

On my 37 caddy i had the reflectors chromed,was a mistake as my lights are not that good for nighttime driving,but then again i am using the original 6 volt bulbs,not sure if it is just poor engineering or the chromed reflector.I am wanting to get them done in the aluminum coating some day,for now i dont go out much at night. Harvey

5. One it is called resto rod not resto mod. its a '70s gas crunch thing.

Unless you are doing a restoration and need the original parts restored for points on the concourse option number one is the idiots way out.

The second option is good enough, and the 3rd is one you really have to watch so that you get something that doesn't look too clowny. Shoot for hellas with a curved lens not flat or cibis. Your cost for the hellas will be less than 100 and the cibis should run you in the 100-150 range.

The Shift Wizard likes this.