Register now to get rid of these ads!

Headlight position

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by |Tom|, Feb 4, 2010.

1. |Tom|

|Tom|

Howdy all,

After viewing many photos in various threads from the 50s/early 60s era (also in R&K and HRD magazines), poses this dumb question.

Was there any particular reason why some (...but certainly not all) hot rods from this era had high mounted headlights?

For example (stolen from threads),

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was there a particular law (regarding height) in certain states at the time or simply a "trend"?

I have asked some people and also attempted a search but I can not get a straight answer.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated and would aid a future build.

Cheers,
    Tom

2. I would venture a guess that with 6 volts and the crappy headlight bulbs of the era, that mounting them high would help light up the road at night...

3. Calif. had a headlight hight law. If your lights were too low you got a ticket and/or towed depending on what town you were in.

I understand that a lot of states had headlight height laws.

If you are building a period piece and mount your lights low you missed the boat.

4. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

It was usually more "LAW" related........

5. |Tom|

|Tom|

Okay, thanks for the comments and clarification.

Would anyone know what distance this was? Also was the physical diameter of the light/lens an issue with law?

Would the measurements have been different in certain counties/states?

6. If you remember in American Grafitti, Milner got pulled over and Holstein said "your headlights are too low", to which Milner replied "regulation twenty-whatever inches", so I guess the law was definitely a factor in the 50s and 60s. In some states anyway.

7. |Tom|

|Tom|

I think that was front end height...

HOLSTEIN
    Uh-huh. Milner, the reason I stopped
    you was because the light on your
    license plate is out.
    (opening his ticket book)
    I'm gonna have to cite you for that.
    And Milner, the front end of this...
    this... this thing you're driving
    looks a little low.

JOHN
    Oh, no sir. It's twelve and a half
    inches. Regulation size. Now, it's
    been checked several times. You can
    check it if you like, sir.

(http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/American-Graffiti.html)

8. I remember back in the fifties my dads car club had a local cop that was a member and he said that Wisconsin had a law that said the top of the headlight could not be lower than the top of the front tire. We (and by we I mean my dad) were building a fenderless 34 2 dr. sedan at the time. I remember that because we were going to bolt the lights to the frame horns and Chic ( the cop ) came over to help one night and said the lights were to low and would never pass. Of course all the cops back then just loved to tee off on hot rodders whenever they had the chance. The other big deal was windshield height ( 10 inches ) and front bumper height ( 12 inches ) . Those were the days!!!

9. |Tom|

|Tom|

Kool story, thanks for the info.

10. |Tom|

|Tom|

Would this mean front "spreader bar" height on Hot Rods?

11. That's a good question, If it is mine won't pass. I don't think the cops are as fussy about that anymore, at least not in Wisconsin. I know they used to be real strict about the "difference" in height front to back, but that was when everyone was jackin up the back ends, circa mid sixties, made the cars handle like shit and for that reason it was a good law. We used to take a long pry bar and reverse the shackles on the leaf spring cars to get them up in the rear, most of these ideas were a product of to much time and no money. Today a low front end is teamed up with a low rear end for the right stance. The good part about todays suspension set-ups is that they not only look good but handle much better. I am amazed at how well my 29 Roadster handles for a dropped front axle and transverse spring up front and coil-overs out back. Head and shoulders above anything we were doing in the sixties. If I remember right, which I usually don't, but this time I think I do, maybe.......

12. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

They had to be 24 inches off the pavement. They also used to use a dollar bill to measure your windshield as well as measure how far off the pavement you were.....etc etc.....don't ya'll remember being "Hassled by the Man!"

13. |Tom|

|Tom|

Ok, yea I'm just an 18yr old student from South Oz finding info on various ideas I have seen in magazines and on this site. Just to find out first hand what were the reasons, but now I have a little more understanding that law was a BIG influence.

14. rustyhood

rustyhood

Yepper! running 14'' tires on front and 15'' tires on back along with air shocks this tend to put our headlights aiming at the ground. So we had to adjust accordingly. I once had a guy tell me if I hit my brakes hard enough......I would be laying across the dashboard. what did he know!