Register now to get rid of these ads!

Headlight make over TECH

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slazzen, Feb 16, 2004.

1. I wanted to put some 36 chevy headlights on my R/PU. I realy dig there shape and i like the lens. The problem is this huge void where they mount on a chevy

Attached Files:

2. so here is my tech on how to fix them up first i took a piece of charcoal and rubbed the outer lip

Attached Files:

3. then I put my card board on it and rubbed it with a hard object to get my pattern

Attached Files:

4. next I cut it out!! stay with me I am doing it thru all the steps like a tech thing

Attached Files:

5. then i transfered it to metal and cut that out

Attached Files:

6. then i set up a litte round shaped anvil in the vise to form it

Attached Files:

7. pounded it out to get the shape i needed

Attached Files:

8. ground down the edges of my light clean to weld and removed the old hardware

Attached Files:

9. then i tacked my metal cutout in place

Attached Files:

10. then i welded it up

Attached Files:

11. cleaned up my welds

Attached Files:

12. grabed the old junk headlights Grimlock gave me thanks grim

Attached Files:

13. drilled and fitted the new hardware

Attached Files:

14. now just a skim coated and refinish and these lights will look like they were made to fit on my model A light bar that i cut to make hotrod light stands they will look good with the gill shell I think

Attached Files:

15. dondanno

dondanno

Maybe there is still something left upstairs after all? [​IMG]

16. not much but I am tryin I went to court today for a fixit ticket LOL guess what its a holiday no court LOL

17. i guess i do crappy tech ???

18. chuck fahr

chuck fahr
    from s.w. wis.

Great post Man.I just picked up a pair of 37 Chevy buckets.Im looking for the benzles, or chrome rings.Do you know of any place I might look? I'll let you know how mine turn out.THANKS
    Chuck

19. Rainer

Rainer

ey - nice work man - thank for this post!!

20. tragic59

tragic59

I really enjoyed this tech. How much trial and error did it take before you were happy with the curves in the metal?

21. it took a while and had to trim the pieces a few times to fit nice I also used the hardware and clamped the pieces in to form the right curve

22. Thanks, nice work, I like that a LOT! (Why I wanna learn to weld and metal fab.) Like that grille shell too. The car's really gonna look good.

23. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Creative thinking. Thanks for taking the time to share your pics and post this. It's not easy to throw a tech article together. I haven't taken the time yet. I applaud you for the great post. I like the shape of those lights too!

24. Missing Link

Missing Link

excellent tech post. thanks.

25. Slazzen, you're so dreamy! I love the lights, it is gonna be bitchen! (in my best mullet talk)

26. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

You said "rubbed it with a hard object."
    That's funny.

27. I have seen these on a few cars but none have taken the time to do them right they just weld them to a piece of tubeing or bolt them down improperly I figured it was worth it to get the look i want and it was a learning prosess to do the tech thing too made me take a look at some of the simple stuff that gets passed over like rubbing with a hard object I know you liked that Nads