Register now to get rid of these ads!

Headlight Frenching Kits Suck!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by merc-o-madness, Jun 20, 2005.

1. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

These things look like ass, if u have em replace em, stock headlight rings look way better then those things. It just looks weird how it angles inward to the headlight itself, kinda looks like a cone, and who the hell wants cones!?!? it just kills me when i see a beautiful car and it has those grotesque headlights. how can u justify that it looks good? sorry bout the rant, and i apologize to those that have em' but god damn BLEHHHHHH.

heres an example, i fucken love this car but those headlights are killin it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

hahahaha...i totally fucking agree, those are second on my ugly list, next to radials on fenderless cars.

3. Squablow

Squablow

I think the headlights on that car look just fine. They have an inner trim ring like the ever popular 52-54 Ford headlight ring. What I want to know is why anyone would need a KIT to french a headlight? Apparently there's a kit for everything, don't these people have junkyards?

4. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

those rings look nothing like the 52-54 rings, they are like a cone shape, they angle inward and actually make the headlight look smaller, they are terrible.

5. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

yea they look really coneular, the pic isnt the greatest

6. thesupersized

thesupersized

I second that.

looks nothing alike...
    [​IMG]
    ahhh much better!

7. Tony

Tony

What i can't understand is your still doing all the work. it's not like these kit's are some kind of shortcut..
    Above and beyond being able to buy them from a book that is.
    Why not do some searching for a good set of bezels that you (the builder) like and use them..
    I stopped trying to figure this 'kit' shit out..

These are in *my oppinion* a great way to screw up any custom.

8. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

any kit that says "welding and fabrication required " is not much of a kit but more like a starting point.

9. Yep-those are right up there with laid back mooneyed Mercedes headlights in my opinion.

I think a total build using no Kit/catalog parts is a good way to go.......

10. Kopperhead

Kopperhead

11. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

HAGAN FRENCHING KITS is butt ugly

12. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Agreed, they look Absolutely horrible.

13. DrJ

DrJ

I think the FIRST custom they were on looked bitchin, because it was new and unique and different, but the second one and all subsequent one's look like so many dummy spotlights.

Someone said, "don't they have any junk yards?" well, no. There aren't any, around here, besides Memory Lane, with anything more than 10 year old rice in them.

14. you can still buy the merc headlight rings for frenching...they look nothing like the Hagen headlight setup....

The Hagen's are ugly as hell...never liked them myself.

15. I have to say I agree and have fallen victim to these horrible lights thanks to a previous owner. Luckily things are going to change soon....1954 Mercury rings from night prowlers will do the trick. Here is what I am talking about.....yuck

EDIT...well, it wont let me post pix at the moment......

16. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

just a reminder for all the noobs out there

17. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

hahahaha, "coneular". I love it! You guys even customize the english language!

I totally agree though. Merc rings...anything but the Hagan kits. I have a set of nice 57 ford buckets for sale if anybody needs em.

18. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Duh? You ever seen the actual headlight bucket? Chris pulled me out of that Merc in favor of stock rings. The thing looks like a god damn flower pot with a headlight in the top.

19. STIFF

STIFF
    from Rat Town

The word you're groping for is "conical".

I know what you mean though...last fall I saw a young lady wearing WHITE SLINGBACKS after Labor Day!!! Imagine!!

I showed her my official Style Police Junior Fashion Scout Merit Badge and punched her right in the cocksucker, the whore.

20. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

anyone got pics od a car with 56 Ford headlight rings? Been thinking about these for my car because of the eyebrow on top. Not sure if it would look right though.

21. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

So are you actually defending these things??? Now maybe i can see that if this is a streetrod board and it can be of someones opinion to like these, but this is a traditional rod and custom board. Now i can be wrong, but im pretty damn sure they never made these god awful things in the 50's/60's.

22. Gigantor

Gigantor

:eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D :D
    lmfao!!!!

Damnit, now that was funny!

23. STIFF

STIFF
    from Rat Town

No, no, no. I don't like them either, I just think it's a little nitpicky on an otherwise kickass car. (I've been guilty of bagging on other people's style mistakes, too.)

Honestly, I was just pandering for the laugh at your expense.

24. Gigantor

Gigantor

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! :D
    Remind me never to try to avoid a barfight with you around. HAHAHA!!!

oh yeah, those kits DO suck, but if that's the only thing "wrong" with an otherwise bitchin car, does that just wreck everything about the perception of the car from then on? I mean, it can be fixed.

25. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

For me it does. Small things like that can throw your eye of the entire car. Like a perfectly chopped merc with 80's camaro side mirrors. Or like Paris Hilton with human shit on her face.

26. STIFF

STIFF
    from Rat Town

I have earned my fair share of black eyes and fat lips, it's true...but that's mostly from the ladies.

27. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Would be an improvement.

28. Wow m-o-m,
    You were pissed. Enough to start a new thread about Hagens. That's too funny! You rule!!!

29. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

My thoughts exactly. Kits take the "soul" out of it.

30. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

I learned a long time ago on the HAMB that Hagens = "Goldchainer". Maybe more of an individual application sort of thing, but I've yet to see a set I like. Guess I'm too into the old style way of frenching.

Attached Files: