Register now to get rid of these ads!

headlight conumdrum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by h2omonkey, Mar 5, 2012.

1. h2omonkey

h2omonkey
    from vegas

I have a headlight in my econoline that continually burns out, the same one every time. When I put a new bulb in it will last about a day or so. Voltage at the socket is 12.3 on low beam side. All the wiring looks good and the other bulb is fine. I'm stumped, considering that both bulbs are feed from a common hot wire, I don't see how only one is going bad. Anyone run across this before?

2. DrJ

DrJ

Do the replacement bulbs say "made in China"?
    Is the housing loose at the alignment spring or aiming bolts letting it vibrate?
    move the lamp that doesn't burn out to that side and see if it burns out.
    May be just a series of "made in China" or might as well be, lousy bulbs

3. China Bulbs . Watch there 1157 bulbs too. they didn't make it through a state vehicle inspection .2 went bad

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Tighten the ground ...

5. arniem

arniem

a poor ground will make bulbs burn out quick (seems opposite to common sense , but true)

6. Dapostman

Dapostman

Make sure the basket is not cracking the bulb.

7. arniem

arniem

If your wiring and ground seem OK .... it could be vibration .... rare ... but I have seen it happen .... if the light assembly is not firmly mounted it is possible for it to set up a harmonic vibration that damages the filament in the bulb.

Like I said .... rare .... wind (when driving) is what sets up the vibration.

8. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Had a Triumph motorcycle that would burn out the headlight if you speed shifted it at night (dah when the light was on!) it turned out to be a bad ground, ran a wire back to the frame no more burned out headlights.

9. 500 single

500 single

I would expect the light to be unusually dim if the ground was bad. Maybe the lamp doesn't fit in the bucket securely and is rattling around?
    -Greg.

10. squirrel

squirrel

Swap the bulbs from side to side, see how long they last in their new locations.

11. Regular sealed beam?

12. h2omonkey

h2omonkey
    from vegas

Grounds secure, light is secure, bulb is regular sylvania sealed beam. Moved light from other side, that was the second one that burned out. If I try and run a second ground, whats the best way to attach it to the bulb end, splice into the current ground in the bulb plug?