Register now to get rid of these ads!

Headers and torque converter for a '56 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magsnubby, Aug 23, 2010.

1. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

I finally decided to do a V-8 conversion on my '56 Chevy more door. The engine is a stock 350 GM Goodwrench crate engine rated at 260 hp with headers and four barrel. It will be basically stock with an Edelbrock Performer intake / Performer 600 cfm carb, HEI and headers (maybe a Comp Cams 260H cam, i haven't decided yet). Tranny will be a turbo 350 with a mild shift kit. Exhaust is 2" with dual glass packs. It will be more of a cruiser than a hot rod.

I'm down to picking headers (using the stock steering box and side mounts) and torque converter. Since the wife works for NAPA i can get a stock converter for real cheap. But i'm thinking maybe i want a little higher stall speed. Maybe something around 1,700 to 2,000 rpm's?

Since the car is lowered (2" but it'll be going down another inch) i don't want full length headers unless someone makes a full length header with good ground clearance. I still have nightmares about bent header flanges on my old slammed '71 Cheyenne. I'm thinking maybe shorties or 3/4 length headers. So what headers are you tri-five guys running and how's the fit and ground clearance?

2. brad2v

brad2v

I have no answers, but I'll be watching this one...gonna run a similiar combo in the '57 Poncho, with the same issue (lowered)

3. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

3 speed Vega convertor, that's the cheap way. I knew a guy that ran low 12s with one in a 68 Camaro. As for headers, go fenderwell.

4. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

What about 2.5 rams horns, ran `em in my 55 4dr. Good power and no leaks, ground clearance issues. I think you can get cheapo`s from Dorman, I heard like $60 ea. You`re wife might be able to get these through Napa.

5. 37dodge

37dodge

There are several companies that make full length headers for your 56, but require you to cut off the original bellhousing mount frame horns as they run right in that spot. That shouldn't be a problen since you are changing to a TH350 and would probably run a tailshaft tranny mount.

6. These work really well. They are from Patriot. They make two version depending on the heads you are running H8025-1 and H8055-1. Better than shorty's or rams horns, more ground clearance than full length.

[​IMG]

7. LastMinuteMark

LastMinuteMark
    from So. Cal.

Just stay away from Sanderson....nothing but problems for me, on my 55...poor quality....do a search on them. Look at Dougs, Patriot, even the 2.5" rams horns as mentioned since its a cruiser, when i get some extra coin, i'll be going with the rams horns....would prefer dougs or patriots....but too much money right now....good luck

8. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

9. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

More confusion. I talked to a tranny guy about rebuilding the powerglide in my T-Bucket and also asked about a turbo 350 for the '56. He suggested that since i'm building it as a simi daily/long distance cruiser why not go to a turbo 700R. Says he can set me up with everything i need, including carb linkage and the tail shaft for $1,500.