Register now to get rid of these ads!

header paint??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dchaz, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Dchaz

Dchaz

The last header paint i used lasted about 15 minutes. What is the best paint to use? I would like to go silver to break up some of the black on the front of the truck. I thought about trying a black bbq grill paint then using silver header paint.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  2. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

Last set I painted, I used VHT. It's lasted a good long time. Sandblast, VHT primer and then VHT white.

3. 61falcon

61falcon

i have had good results with dupli color high temp paint with ceramic. i have never tried the bbq grill paint.

4. I used high temp silver paint used for wood stoves. It cures when heated. I have about 50 miles on them, so far, so good.....

5. It's NOT about the paint as much as the preparation. SANDBLAST the headers thoroughly. NOT hand sand. Then handle them so as not to get oily finger prints on them. Hang em up and spray multiple light coats til done. Now, CAREFULLY install, again not to get oily finger prints. Fire the car and hold at slightly fast idle for just a few seconds till you see the paint just starting to smoke. Return to idle, shut off immediately, and cool to room temp. Do this 4-5 times, patiently not overcooking, and patiently waiting for room temp each cycle. This cures the paint. Mine have been fine on the Vette for about 7 years.

[​IMG]

6. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

I use "Cool It" thermo tec paint, it is Balkamp PN735-7084 in silver. Holds up pretty well, the only place I have problems with it is the are where the two middle cyls exaust hit the outboard side of the cone. I usually paint twice a year.

Attached Files: