Register now to get rid of these ads!

Header Paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by djust, Feb 17, 2010.

1. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Who all has used some kind of high heat paint to coat their headers with and how well did it hold up?
    Just bought a set of lake headers from gear drive and I would like to get them ceramic coated but damn it's high so I am researching different options that might work.
    Eastwood has several different colors of paint they make for exhaust components but I don't know if they are worth shooting on them or not.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

• headers.jpg
      headers.jpg
      File size:
      2.7 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      2.5 KB
      Views:
  2. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

ceramic coating for that should be around $250.00 Performance Coating in Riverdale GA can hook you up.

3. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

How about Jet Coat anyone used them?
    Thanks onlychevrolets

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

subscribed..

yeah me too

5. 32Essex

32Essex
    from Texas

A friend of mine had a set of 55 chevy chassis headers ceramic coated in Paris, Tx and said they blasted them and coated them for $ 200, but I don't know what the guys name is. Airborn Coatings did the headers on my coupe for $235 plus shipping.

6. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Some of the options are
    KBS.
    VHT.
    EASTWOOD.
    JETCOAT.
    I used VHT brand on my calipers and drums and rotors but since the rod is not on the road yet I have no idea how well they will hold up.

Matt builds a great product and I want to keep it looking that way, hell there are already rust spots from finger prints on them.
    Did I mention yet that I hate rust, if not then I hate rust.

7. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Ceramic may be the only way to go but I hate to ship them off and I am not sure who does that kind of coating around here,'I did find a JET COAT place here just don't know anything about there product.
    Ceramic coating cost about half the price of the headers and I didn't really want to have 7 to 9 hundred dollars in a set of headers.

8. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Should the baffle inserts be coated to or not?
    They are removable but I don't know if they should be coated separate or just left bare.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There is another way to look at it.........you will be protecting your initial investment.......the headers will look much better throughout their lfe and last longer in the bargain. I have no quarrel with those who must operate on a budget, but in the final analysis, you get what you pay for...usually.

I have used Jet Hot Several times and am happy with their process. I would imagine others doing a similar process are equal in results.

Ray

10. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Wood stove black...it's traditional

11. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

djust, try Extreme Coatings in OKC 688-2628, they did my zoomies and have held up for 8 years. If they are still around ask for Scott.

Airborne would be my second choice locally. Jet Hot is very good and not cheap.

12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've tryed various heat paints and always end up unhappy. I use Moores Power Coating in Waverly NE. He does all the coating for Speedway, but don't hold that against him. Small shop that cares.

13. Ole don

Ole don

VHT paint is good, but you should take it all apart and redo it every two years or so. Jet hot in OKC is very good, outlasts the competition two to one. I have had both.

14. lowelife

lowelife

I went the cheap route with my dads set from Matt. Used BBQ grille paint from Lowes and has stood up really well. Alot better than VHT hi temp paint.

15. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

ADJUST...I truely understand the COST thing. listen there are many high temp paints on the market. and in all colors. i painted my gasser headers white. sure you will have to repaint now and then, but little buddy that beats the hell out of $250.00 that's what it cost to ceramic my son's lakesters. trust me my H.A.M.B. brother you'll be glad you painted, and used your cash elsewhere...POP.

16. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

We had a few sets aluminumized back in the 70's they seemed to hold up pretty good. I don't know if anybody is doing it anymore, a set we did for a 55 back in the early 70's were still on the car in the 90's when I last saw it .it was a drag car so it wasn't out in the elements I am pretty sure I remember appliance coating there headers with it

17. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I get the black paint from the woodstove section at Menard's, it holds up better than the automotive paint. I'd like to go silver this time, I'm listening too.

18. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

19. fisher

fisher

I have used Eastwood header paint for about ten years and looks and holds great. Only need to touch it up when I get sloppy with oil or brake fluid. Touch it up with a sponge brush, fire it up and bake it on, blends right in with the orignal coats.

20. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

I'd echo what Fisher said. I've had good luck with Eastwood stuff; held up well, requiring only a touch-up when I messed up. Then I went the Jet-Hot route on another build and was even happier -- looked good and did not discolor, even after 10+ years. This time I went with a black ceramic coating -- a place in Boerne TX (which specializes in Corvette restorations) did a pair of Ram Horns for me for $160. Only a few thousand miles so far, but they're great! Definitely worth the investment IMHO.

21. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

There is a place here in OKC called HPC that has a product called HIPERCOAT, I am going to stop by there after work today and see how overpriced they are.
    BBQ grill paint doesn't sound like a bad idea.
    I used Eastwoods extreme chassis black on my frame and suspension pieces and they came out looking really good, how dureble it turns out to be is still in question.

22. pincher

pincher
    from Saginaw

When you ceramic coat, should the inside of the header be coated also? I had my header's ceramic coated. First time i fired it up the header's blistered,motor was in tune. Took the header's back 2 times to have them fixed, still the same problem. Got my money back, but still look like s$%t

23. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

Try this place. I hear good things about them. I've never used them but my customers tell me good things, price and quality. If you have them coated take the baffles out.

http://www.performancecoatingsplus.com/

Nice headers too!

24. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I used silver BBQ paint on the lake headers on my Model A, it has held up really really well, especially considering I had some fuel system issues with the supercharger which caused flames to shoot out the pipes and the baffles inside the header to glow bright orange inside the lake headers, but still no discoloration on the outside.

Not bad for a $8 can of paint!!

[​IMG]

25. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

white header paint, looks way better than ceramic coating!

26. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Ran over to HPC High Performance Coatings at lunch time and got a quote.
    Everybody sit down.

They told me that if I went silver they would turn colors at the front exhaust ports because of the way the headers were made and it would cost $275 for the headers and $35 for the turn outs.
    I told them I wanted black and he said okay they probably won't change colors but to get them in black it was $375 for the headers and I didn't even wait to find out how much more for the turn outs.
    There website makes it sound like they developed the coating themselves but there is a Hot Jet sticker on the door.
    I'm not spending $400+ to get them coated.

27. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

Dont mean to get off topic, but your car is BAD ASS!! I love it.I used VHT high temp white header paint on mine and it sucks. My headers are too thin to get coated otherwise I would do that, so I just keep touching them up every once in a while.

28. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Heres a few more I found.

DEI good to 1500 degrees
    Zithron 900 good to 1235 degrees
    Hirschauto.com 2000 degrees
    Stove Bright 1200 degrees
    Alvin makes a metallic black that look pretty sharp 1200 degrees
    PJ1 Fast black 1500 degrees.

Most I found were good to 1200 and a few were rated over that and all were under $20 a can and most were under $12 a can.
    Kind of leaning towards Alvin because of the metallic black but Hirsch seems to be able to take the most heat.

Anyone else?
    Speak up if you have any experience with any of these.

29. Back in the day,,I had a friend paint his race car headers high heat red.
    I wondered why,,until he broke a rocker,,,,it was obvious then.
    The high heat red turns black at temp when the engine is warm.
    A dead cylinder will turn back to red.
    It was cool to see the engine cold and the headers red ,,and then magically turn to black as the temp built.
    As others have said,,,white works good,,,red ,,orange,,black,,silver,,,whatever you choose will work good.

Tommy

30. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Hey, I know where your coming from...some of these guys selling the coating are a total rip off......you want to spend your hard earned money elsewhere......I used Dupli-Color header paint and after trying several other paints it turned out great and held up great. Hell look at my old TBucket I drove the tires off this car and even with the white paint it was easy to clean up and touch up. Didn't rock chip like all the others too! It has a semi gloss to it too. After driving in rain after cooling off I used Simple Green or any other cleaner to clean them up. Try it.

Attached Files:

Hemi-roid likes this.