Register now to get rid of these ads!

header length for tuned exhaust ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jetmek, Nov 12, 2010.

1. jetmek

jetmek

ok so how does one go about determining what the best header tube length would be for a particular engine and would the difference be significant enough to to go the trouble? specifically, we are building a 284 injected flathead for a dragster and my first thought was to just put short stacks on it and be traditional but wouldnt i see big gains in scavenging and top end hp figures with a custom set of headers on it? please someone" edjikate" me on this so i can get the most from this engine...thanks

2. pro85fiero

pro85fiero
    BANNED

Many benefits but it takes a lot of trial and error plus a dyno wouldn't hurt either. Best advise is to talk to someone who specializes in building flatheads for drag racing, because trial & error sucks (fun, costs a lot of money but still sucks)! The guys who specialize in it already did the R&D work and spent their money so you won't!

3. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

4. tanof

tanof
    from New Mexico

I heard something about the crayon method? Something like cut at the point where the crayon burns off?

5. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

This is to determine where an "H" or "X" pipe crossover should be.

For header tube length calculation, use this...
    http://www.bgsoflex.com/bestheader.html

6. tanof

tanof
    from New Mexico

7. jetmek

jetmek

thats a great website...THANKS!

8. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Excellent site as already stated... Great tool...

9. This is how they do Briggs motors,Might work on Flathead ford their both Flathead`s. I am guessing you are doing zoomies. So here it goes.They make them long and paint them with cheap paint. run the motor down the track. the paint on the ends of the headers will burn and bubble. Cut the ends off where the good paint Starts.I have never done this only heard about in the past. Pete.