Register now to get rid of these ads!

header gasket blues.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edweird, Apr 29, 2012.

1. edweird

edweird

i tried these reuseable, never have to replace header gaskets from auto zone. i dont want to talk trash about someones product, but they leak.......BAD! i feel better now. oh yea, i bought a cheap set and they dont leak.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      140.7 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      165.7 KB
      Views:
  2. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

Maybe it is just the picture, but it looks like the hole in the gasket is to big for the hole in your header and it cant seal because there is no metal to gasket in the corners. What do you think? JC

3. oj

oj

Do you have a round header tube? I'm not being a smart ass, lots of headers have round tube at the flange and you need a round gasket, if the header tube is round and you use the square gasket they leak at the corners.

4. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Looks like what he said^^^^^^^^

5. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

What brand of headers did you buy ? If you buy the cheap ones they aren't always flat and true and can leak . You also might have the wrong headers for the heads you have too .
    Don't skip on cheap header gaskets either . And yes there are different styles of gaskets as well . Make sure you buy the correct gaskets for the heads and headers you have .

Retro Jim

6. F&J

F&J

Post 2 got it and Post 3 explained why. I can see the round imprint of the header, and it left a gap at the square corner.

you hereby must send a written apology to A.Z. :)

7. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

They look like sbc. Square ports. They might work with cast iron manifolds but header flanges are larger and more flexible so that gasket won't crush evenly.

8. edweird

edweird

what yall say makes a lot of sense.i will check my ports tomorrow. i really havent paid attention.i very well could be a dum ass!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I have always used plain old manifold gaskets from Fel-Pro with a liberal bead of copper Silicone after carefully filing the flange welds smooth and checking them for faults. No leaks until I pull 'em off and try to reuse 'em, HA!

10. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Why pull them off if the cheapies don't leak? Gonna have to buy more cheapies, and A Z does not care.

11. i work at az.i always steer people away from themetal ones and towards mr gasket ultra seals.