Register now to get rid of these ads!

Header for a Chevy 153?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigblock352, Jan 20, 2010.

1. bigblock352

bigblock352
    from Florida

Has anyone here modifed a header to use on a 153? I know clifford offers one but I am not sure I am willing to ponie up the 350 bucks yet.

A small block header looks damn close and some have a 1 1/2 primary so that would be perfect.

Anyone here done this?

2. bigblock352

bigblock352
    from Florida

3. I tried one from Clifford years ago in my otherwise stock '32 with a '39 trans. It didn't clear the front wishbone. Good thing I took it with the understanding I could return it if it didn't fit. A nice thing about the stock exhaust manifold is that it heats the bottom off the intake manifold to help vaporize the fuel when used with a stock intake. I am currently running a Clifford intake with a stock manifold blocked off at the top. The stock intake ran better for a street car. If you are going to be building build manifolds it might be a good time to consider an eight port head from the 181 Mercruiser.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
    dirtcop1947 likes this.
  4. bigblock352

bigblock352
    from Florida

I am not planning on using the 181 head. I just revalved the stock head with 1.94 Intake 1.65 Exhaust. I am using a clifford intake with the water running though it to help with vaporizing the fuel. The stock exhaust manifold will be way to restrictive now, but 350 for 1 none coated header is steep. I have fitted a SBC V8 header and the spacing really is close. Didn't know if anyone has tried and had a experiance to share to aid me along my way with modifing one.

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If you have fitted an SBC header and it is close, then cut away and see what happens.

dirtcop1947 likes this.
  6. flyin-t

flyin-t

My friend's old touring. Clifford intake and header flange and headers built to fit.

7. bigblock352

bigblock352
    from Florida

Cutting begins friday when I get the head back from the shop.

8. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Did anything happen with this? I'm working on one right now.

9. I made a lakes style header for my old track roadster. Bought a flange from Hearders by Ed, a megaphone and a cheap pair of sbc circle track headers and cut one up and sold the other one. DSC00024.JPG

10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

nostalgia59 likes this.
  11. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I've got a stock original chevy II 153 exhaust manifold for sale if anyone needs one.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Charlie, Thanks. I need to get off my duff and get the exhaust header done so I can get the engine assembled and sitting in the rails. I like your build. I wish mine was that far along.
    Larry, What do you want for the manifold?
    Nostalgia, That looks like a fun project. I'd like to see more pictures of the adaptor and for sure the 2X2 Offey. Some day I want to build a duel Weber DCOE setup.

13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada