Register now to get rid of these ads!

Header/Exhaust Wrap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JTM133, Mar 10, 2007.

1. JTM133

JTM133

Anyone out ther with experience using header/exhaust wrap? How much of a hassle and is it worth the effort? Can you put it on with the headers in place? Or is it just a fancy cosmetic waste of time?

2. Wesley

Wesley

I would never use header wrap. The biggest problem with header wrap is that holds all of the heat and moisture on the tubing causing the metal to deteriorate quickly. If you ever have an oil leak that gets to the wrap it will act like a wick and soak it up creating a fire hazard. It is just a plain pain in the ass to use. I had a customer insist that I use header wrap on his car so I asked the engine builder about it. His response was "fine, build 5 or 6 sets of headers in different configurations, wrap them and bring them to me, I will see if any of them will still make any power." My engine builder told me that header wrap can affect the headers drastically some times hurting power. His advice was to either use stainless headers "as is" or mild steel headers (Jet Hot or HPC) coated inside and out. I respect this man's opinion as he has built a Buick V6 that was on the pole at Indy in the 80s and was the "factory Ford" engine builder for several road race series over the 10 years.

3. JTM133

JTM133

thanks. gonna blow it off...could not find a lot of info...