Register now to get rid of these ads!

Head porting at home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stan292, Jul 11, 2006.

1. stan292

stan292

Gang-

I'm considering some port matching and mild smoothing of the runners on a set of SBC heads. I did a few sets back in the day, but it was pretty much a "by guess and by golly" deal. I'm familiar with some of the basics (machinist's dye, etc.), but it's been about 40 years since then and I wondered if there were any new techniques, tools, etc., that I should know about. I used shaped stones back then. Are the carbide cutters the way to go now?

Just looking for info pertaining to doing decent street heads - no "pushing the envelope" or CNC stuff - strictly low-buck work that I can do in my garage.

Comments? Tips? Advice?

Thanks in advance.

2. LIMEY

LIMEY

Stan i have an excellent link here for you, its not related to your sb but does cover very good techniques & the up to date tools to use, its written by Mike (av8) & as usual is a very good read.
    http://www.flatheadv8.org/bishop/porting1.htm

Kev.

3. Bugman

Bugman

Mike's article is a great one, and may of the same principles apply. Basic gasket matching, smoothing of casting lines and sharp edges, and an 80 grit polishing should do you just fine

4. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

football shaped carbide and 80 grit small flapper and sanding cones.speedway sells the porting kit with the sandpaper cones and arbors as does closeouts unlimited in lincoln on cornhusker.concentrate on blending the short side radius and teardropping the guide, gasket matching intake runners.

5. what fenders

what fenders