Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEad liners suck!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BadFishKustoms, Aug 16, 2010.

1. BadFishKustoms

BadFishKustoms

just started doing the headliner in my 55 olds (bow style) i got the windlace run and starting to put in the bows. any hints, tips, special thoughts that might help me???? such as starting from the front or back ? or stuff like that

2. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer
    BANNED

you want the fabric warm and pliable, i learned that little tip doin a convertible top years ago.

3. Road Oiler

Road Oiler

Google is a wonderful thing. I hope this helps. Click Headliner.

4. BadFishKustoms

BadFishKustoms

thanks for the link that helps for sure ! i was tryingto start with the rear bows first and was getting my @ss kicked !!!

5. VONRUBEN65

VONRUBEN65
    from LOMITA

make sure all the bows are going in the right place becuase that could fuck you up! i hate headliners also!! if its sunny out laid it out under the sun and let it warm up then have at it

6. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

7. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

I was scared, I dropped my off at the trim shop 4 hours ago. Get to pick it up tomorrow.:) I looked at one a guy did himself and it looked good except all the wrinkles. I dont want wrinkles.

8. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

I have done 3 headliners all in chevelles so far. (gus68's wife talking) Here is what I do hopefully it help you! First make sure you have all your original holes marked. Then put your bows into your headliner. Start with the middle and hook that bow up first. Then go out from each side using your original holes. You might need to cut the fabric the bow goes in to make it lay flat against the roof. Then I like to spray the fabric in the front with 3m spray adhesive(the expensive 3m spray is well worth it) and spray the metal strip by the windsheild in the front. Wait the advise time and start sticking the headliner to the metal starting in the middle and working your way out. Get your first bow to look straight and fairly tight. You can always pull it off and restick if you need. I like to use those paper binder clips to hold it once you have it glued. Then go to the back and do the same working out from the middle again. This time try to get it fairly tight from front to back. It might be a little wrinkled but you can get most of the wrinkles out when you do the sides. Then go to the sides do the same always working from the middle out. Clip when you are done there also. If you still have some minor wrinkles, you can use a heat gun or hair dryer to get these out. Be very careful not to burn it or get it too hot. Let the glue dry for a day or two. Then remove the clips, trim your edges and put up your trim. Be careful when trimming where the sail panels go. Leave enough headliner to go past where they meet. The tighter you can pull the better. I learned this the hard way. I thought it was tight until a 90+ degree day came and it got a little loose but I used the heat gun to tighten it up again. Best of luck with your headliner.

9. 63dan63

63dan63

I trimmed the bow loop fabric back from the edges and used about 200 metal paperclips to stretch everything in place. And then I let it sit for two days before I glued it in place.

[​IMG]

It worked for me.

It was a lot easier than I expected.

10. BadFishKustoms

BadFishKustoms

thanks for all the great feedback !!!!! im a FNG here and pissed it took me so long to join! thanks again. im going back for round two in the morning i will post a few pics and let you guys know how i made out !

11. BadFishKustoms

BadFishKustoms

thanks again for all the info after giving up 3 times cursing more in one day than i have my entire life i finally finished it aside from a few flaws i gota say it wasnt all that bad ! i plan to do it over in the spring but im glad i didnt fall for spending the $600+ i was quoted by a few local shops. it wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be. anyway here are a few pics

Attached Files:

12. chaddilac

chaddilac

Where did you buy your headliner from? Was it a kit?

Looks great from here!! :D

13. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

14. BadFishKustoms

BadFishKustoms

yeah it was a kit from JCwhitney i think thats what the box said it was in with a pile of parts that came with the car. it came with glue small tack nails windlace tons of windlace ! good thing cause a mouse had gotten to part of it. i wasnt very impressed with the quality though the material was super thin and the 1-2 bow section is super baggy. and i would def say give it a shot before you pay a ton of money to have it done it really wasnt all that bad

15. DeuceDog

DeuceDog
    from Breese, IL

Looks good, nice job. To remove the wrinkles along the edges you have to cut the listing, that's the cloth loop holding the bow, back a little at a time and then pull down evenly to the top of the doors and rear windows. Use the heat gun, very carefully, to remove small wrinkles.

DD

16. Awsome!
    I've been dreading that job also, thanks for the info

17. BadFishKustoms

BadFishKustoms

yeah i wish i cut them back before i started tearing one of the seams ! haha owell but i did cut back the front a ton and it just seemed to sag even lower im going to try the heat gun see if i can shrink it a little thanks for the advice.

18. 'Mo

'Mo

Nice job. I'd be surprised if you still feel it's worth re-doing come Spring!

19. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Some cars like my '54 Ford call for removing the rear window (per Ford Shop Manual) to install the headliner,did you have to do that with yours?

20. BadFishKustoms

BadFishKustoms

hah screw that !!!!!!!! that would have sucked nah i didnt have to remove anything crazy although it would have been a good idea to go ahead and replace front and rear window gaskets before i did iit, it seems as though im going to have to pull down part of the HL when i do them

21. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

I bought my kit off ebay for less than 70 and paid 140 for installation.

22. BadFishKustoms

BadFishKustoms

bow style !?!?!?! your kidding me ???? i called to atleast 5 dif local shops and the cheapest i was quoted was 650!!!!!

23. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

Bow style. Excellent job. I have to polish my chrome trim and install but that was my choice. I have two more to have done and I will take both to him.