Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Head Gasket Useable Condition?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HuskerNation, Jan 4, 2021.

1. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

I need some knowledgeable help on this. I am looking at buying an old NOS head gasket & there are a few areas of discoloration & tarnishing. I’ve asked the seller this morning if there are any areas of pitting or damage as the photos aren’t the best. What do you guys think based upon these pictures, buy or not?

IMG_5700.JPG IMG_5701.JPG IMG_5702.JPG IMG_5703.JPG IMG_5704.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Tough call. Iron or Aluminum head?

Deuces likes this.
  3. 62SY4

62SY4
    from Irwin, Pa

That happens because the galvanic reaction between the tin plate and copper eyelets + humidity.

I'd clean the loose crustys off and spray with copper spray-a-gasket.

egads, desotot, jimmy six and 4 others like this.
  4. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I just used a gasket that barely looked any better. I sprayed the hell out of it with copper spray gasket and sent it home on an Olds 324. I have over 4000 miles on it since, so far so good.

egads and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. Why take the risk? Gaskets just aren't that expensive, and having been compressed, probably will not seal, "microscopically" to either surface. I am refraining from further comment.

6. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Agreed. I had to replace a similar gasket in a str8 6 and the old gasket looked fine to the eye.

7. squirrel

squirrel

I'd trust this gasket more than a new repop....they just don't make them like they used to.

8. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The O/P said it's NOS, which would mean that it is unused, just old. It doesn't look like it's been compressed to me.

I wouldn't be afraid to use it, but a good close inspection would be warranted.

9. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Just because it hasn't been installed doesn't mean it doesn't have defects that will make it leak. Who knows how it's been treated sitting around all this time. Now if I had it laying around my shop would I try it? Sure. Would I pay money for it? I personally would not.

If you do get it let us know if she works!

10. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

Thanks guys. Fortunately I’m just looking for an extra head gasket & not needing one currently to put an engine together. The one in the photos is supposed to be unused & NOS, hopefully I can get some better pictures to better evaluate those areas. The head I’m using is cast iron & was surfaced before installing it in the last year. I’m getting an itch to put bigger intake valves & an Isky cam in the old girl & if I do I will then need another head gasket.

Yesterday a friend told me about Molina Gaskets & after speaking to them I’m inclined to consider one of their gaskets since they can make one as thin as 0.035” to get the quench in the best range.

http://molinamfg.com/gaskets/

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

saltflats likes this.
  11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wouldn’t bother me to use it... Can’t tell you how many GMC 302’s I’ve used and have that look like this...

62SY4, egads and HuskerNation like this.
  12. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit