Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Hawaiian Roadster Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lucky444, Jun 11, 2011.

1. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Very cool!

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

2. exterminator

exterminator

Another reason to love Hawaii.

3. Lucky444

Lucky444

Here are a few photo's of the original builder, Robert "Longie" Gandall, with the Roadster as it appeared in the early fifties. You can see why his nickname was "Longie"!

Being as tall as he was, there were a few mods to the chopped and channelled Roadster so he could fit in it. The floor is sunken and the cat walk above the trunk lid has been removed and the driver area extended. In the side view of the car you can see the longer rooftop.

Attached Files:

4. Send that over to the mainland, I'll give it a nice home(lol) Thanks for sharing very cool ride !

5. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How in the world has this'32 survived the Hawaiian rust that will eat everything metal up??????---Unbelieveable!

6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Its a Ford!:rolleyes::D

7. Lucky444

Lucky444

There are actually a few "built back in the day" survivors stashed around the island. I think a little luck and a little love have kept them from disappearing back into the earth. The salt air here is wicked!

8. Lucky444

Lucky444

What? That is VERY cool.

9. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

At first I thought it was that other Hawaiian car as well...too cool. Thanks for sharing.

Cris

10. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

thats good looking car..the fenders and longer roof make it...

11. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

wow!!! maybe we can pay him a visit next time im there :D

12. Lucky444

Lucky444

Most definitely!

He's also got a garage full of other goodies.

13. built2grind

built2grind

That thing has such a classy look to it. I love it ! At first glance it looks like one of those Excalibers. I hope the car is being restored to its original glory so we can enjoy it all over again. I'm curious though, how did it manage to stay together in all that salty humidity over there?

14. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Sounds Good!! tell him not to sell anything till next april :D

15. Lucky444

Lucky444

There are patches where you can still see the red lacquer, but I think the thing that preserved it, is the last owner slathered "red lead" paint all over it with a brush. The same kind of liquid lead used in military and industrial applications. Better than undercoating and five times more toxic. Roadster will be hitting the road pretty much as you see it.

Next April?! You guys not coming out here this summer? Not to worry though, John's garage doesn't give anything up easily. You'll see the Roadster for sure.

16. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

Perfect Stance

17. sololobo

sololobo

Nice machine, another fab save. Unique roadster. ~sololobo~

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

check out another thread here- Oakland Hot Rods.....1954 -first pic is of roadster with much of the same styling.

19. R&C RON

R&C RON

Here is the photo that was refered to.....it really looks like there was a Hawaiian style! Check out the Hawaii license plate frame and the cars name.....Hula Girl.​

[​IMG]

20. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

It was in April and not in our budget this year.. :( but next year its on!

I'm digging the Hawaiian Style!! You gotta build one now hahahahahaaha

21. Lucky444

Lucky444

Oh yeah, thanks for that photo Ron. That's the Hawaiian Style right there! Probably a car built here in Hawaii and either sent to the mainland or the owner moved and took it with him. If I ever do build a Hot Rod it'll be pure HI Style for sure.

I'm still a Kustom guy though. :D

22. Lucky444

Lucky444

Here's another early fifties, island built Hot Rod. I was told the history on this one, but can't remember the details. I'll fill you all in later when my memory gets refreshed.

These photos are from an indoor car show here in Honolulu in 2006. I was practically crawling around on the ground checking out the hand formed rolled pans. Nice stuff. I think it had been newly restored when it appeared in this show. I'll be checking out this Roadster next week so will post more pics later.

Attached Files:

23. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

was there one builder who was doing all of these or a small group of guys who did them. because they all have this "look" to them! like they were all related in some way besides where they were.

24. thats exactly what i was thinkin but im glad this one survived, its so friggin cool

25. Lucky444

Lucky444

Several builders for sure, but from what I've learned there were a couple of guys that were especially good metal fabricators. There seems to be a lot of "Custom" mixed in with the Hot Rods here. Lots of moulding, frenching and metal forming. The style seems a little more akin to East Coast builds than the West Coast in my opinion. Don't know why that is, but I like it.

26. on a side note. my boss was in hawaii last year and he was talkin to a bloke who's setting up a drag strip over there (was just dirt at the time but they were getting it sealed). do you know aything about this? don't mean to hijack your thread, just woundering

27. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I love it.. I might have to make some corrections to my roadster plans..;D

it does look very east coast influence maybe some east coasters stationed there??

that's pretty interesting I wonder how long that trend lasted I have some photos
    that barris shot in hawaii in 65 and I don't remember seeing anything like that but i'll have to look again..

We will need to visit the owner of the back car as well :D that thing rules..

28. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I love it, i wanta see more!!!

29. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Indeed.

Z, stretch, full fenders is my strategy with the '31 A. I'll also have a Deuce shell hanging low between the frame horns.

30. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Note how the lowness, fenders, and level stance make for a sort of rod-custom crossover. One can almost see skirts on the back of that.