Register now to get rid of these ads!

Having some fuel issues.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TMoney, Jun 21, 2008.

1. TMoney

TMoney

So i am having some problems with getting fuel up to my carb.

I have a 54 chev pickup with an F 150 tank out back tucked under the frame. I used an elecrtic fuel pump originally, mounted just below the tank within 12 inches or so. I had a fuel filter between the tank and pump and another just before the carb.

It ran fine for a while and then the pump went out. I went and bought a new one, installed it and it went out after maybe 20 minutes of driving. I figured it was just a bad pump and went and retrned it, got a new one, rewired the pump, and brand new fuel lines front to back. Same result.

The tank is clean as well as the fuel in it. I can not figure this out.

Any ideas?

2. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

If you pull the line off the tank will gas run out is the sending unit on top of this tank and if so how meny lines coming out of sending unit . The pump sounds like its working to hard . Do you have the wrong tank line hooked up to the pump ? Are you using the return line or somthing ?if you are it will burn out the pump the feed line goes to the bottom of the tank the return line does not .Is it one of those cheap ass pumps if so they suck . If you can go to the junk yard and get a used jag pump it will suck a golf ball threw a garden hose and holly reg .The jag pumps are in the trunk and are rubber mounted

3. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Is the tank properly vented, if not a vacuum will be created inside and the pump won't pump any fuel?

5. TMoney

TMoney

Everything is installed how it would have been in the F 150. Vented, pump is sucking from the output, not the return. I just dont understand. Maybe i will try a better pump and see how that works.

6. fergusonic

fergusonic
    from Kokomo, In

I am wondering if the filters are screwin' things up.....maybe remove them and see if a new e-pump works then. Wouldn't cost ya anything to try .

7. How long and what gage is the supply wire?

If it's as long as I think you may be running 2.0 volts or so lower than the pump needs.
    It'll get hot and burn up if that's the case.

If need be, install a constant duty relay, control it with the ignition switch and supply the relay with 10 gage wire.

8. Old Gold

Old Gold

If it's Mr. Gasket Pump, that's the problem. They are junk. Went through 3 in 2 hours before I bought a Holley.