Register now to get rid of these ads!

Having Serious Steering Box problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Retro Jim, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have a 55 Ford and the problem I am having is when I turn all the way to the right or left , it gets stuck and won't turn back unless I pull hard ! Left turn is the worst . Tried to adjust the play out but the more play I take out , the worst it gets . I have a 15" steering wheel and has about 3"+ play still in it . Anyone ever use a different steering box to replace this one ? I know the column & box is one unit but I can cut the column and use something different . I have a box & column from a 57 Ford but don't know if that will work . If I can rebuild the box does anyone know where to get the parts . I am stuck because the season is upon me and I have a motor & trans swap to do so I figured I would fix the box when the engine is out . I don't want an unsafe car ! Anyone have a good gear for the box ? Any idea on what the heck to do .
    Thanks !

2. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Sounds like your box was adjusted once too many times -after being worn out in the middle. No slop in middle = binding on the ends (majority of wear in center)

My buddy has a '55 Ford - he tells me they are still producing all the parts to rebuild that box.

Rebuilding would be the simplest, not sure who has the parts - but I bet someone here will know.
    Good luck whichever route you go.

3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Check www.macsantiqueautoparts.com for the hard parts to rebuild it. Not sure about that year. I've used their stuff to do a couple early ford boxes. A lot of the parts are interchangeable into the 60's.

4. 2manybillz

2manybillz

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

There is a company called Mid 50 that would rebuild them on an exchange basis. They use all new parts and only need the housing. I've never dealt with them and don't know what they charge but you can find them online.

6. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Disregard that. I read to fast and thought you had a ford truck. Sorry.