Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Having a hard time starting flathead V8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kelly Burns, May 26, 2020.

1. clem

clem

I would, but others will say not too, but now it is just sounding like something simple like a loose connection, condenser, coil. ( It does have fuel ?) A few months back I fiddled with my points and bumped a wire off in the distributor, and suddenly no go, then had the gap too wide and fortunately found it pretty quickly. Car had a 300 km trip the next day to be our sons wedding car, so was a little nerve racking at the time.

Do you realise that you can keep the 6 volt starter if converting to 12 volts ?
    What I’ve found out the hard way is not to sit on the starter button. If it doesn’t fire with 6 volt starter, when I release the starter button, I wait until everthing stops moving completely. If too quick to re-engage the starter the ‘bendix ?’ spring breaks quite abruptly, although it’s easy to get replacements and updated ones, just a pain to replace it.
    If my 8ba has fuel in the bowl, you don’t hear it wind over. It starts instantly, - quickest starting motor I’ve ever had.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  2. clem

clem

3. clem

clem

with the money you’ve spent on new battery etc, you could just leave it on 6 volts anyway or until that one gives out.