Register now to get rid of these ads!

havent been on in forever! i have 3 cars, now none of them run... i need help guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by luvzccr, Aug 16, 2009.

1. luvzccr

luvzccr

havent logged onto the hamb in MONTHS!!
    but i now need some advice folks.

i have a 2000 hyundai which was the daily driver. but it blew a head gasket recently and me being a fry cook with no money wont fix that anytime soon. haha

my 1958 ford, it siezed up the other day going to the gym, so i cant even drive that as a back up.

my 1963 ranchero which sits at my grandmas i think is my last resort.
    a while back the gas tank strap came off and i had to replace it. it sat for a while and now it doesnt run. i pump the carb and see no gas getting in there.. my dad thinks something is kinked up in the fuel line but he isnt sure. if i can get that going i'll be great but it sure does suck walking everywhere.

any ideas on what would cause the ranchero to just stop running? no fuel getting to the carb, it has been sitting for a while now. im gonna go check it out for the first time in at least a year tomorrow after church.
    havent had the best summer, with my ex leavin me for a new guy and breakin my hand.

but yea, i would hate to sell the 58 and 63 but im going to have to now i believe.

2. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

A 2000 hyundai? :eek:

That right there is enough to get booted from this site!

My advise, get ONE car running and focus on that, too many projects is like a soup sandwich.

Also, buy AMERICAN.

3. pour a little gas in carb and see if it fires

4. First of all why sell the American cars? I hope not to fix the pile of crap hyundai. There is a reason why there are so many old American cars on the road, even from the 80's. I dare you to find one of the Korean heaps that is more than 10 years old.

Yeah, dump some fuel in the carb of the Ranchero. Heck, it could be something as simple as a clogged fuel filter or bad fuel pump.

If it were me and I was desperate for funds and a car, I'd dump the garbage and get the old iron running.

Good luck getting it sorted. I'm sure you can at least have the 'chero going in less than a day with some careful trouble shooting.

Start with a bit of gas or starting fluid shot down the carb. I bet it will fire. Then you just need to find out why no fuel. Look at fuel filters first, rust in the tank moving down the lines. Maybe have to unhook fuel line just down from fuel pump and see if it's doing it's job. Take your dad's advice look for kinked lines. Carb could be gummed up. A can of carb cleaner may cure it, maybe a rebuild kit, or a rebuilt one. Clogged pick-up in the tank maybe.

Sometimes these old heaps can be frustrating, but pretty simple mechanically for the most part. Just be methodical and thorough in your approach and I know you'll get it snortin.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009

5. luvzccr

luvzccr

as for that hyundai, its my sisters old car, hand me down. i want the other 2, the 58 and 63 running first :) i wanna sell that hyundai, TRUST ME. i like my cars american thank you, haha, foreign cars suck, its 10 years old and has all these problems, my 58 and 63 have way less problems. i miss drivin them, but my ex keeped me from workin on them for a year. so now im not tied down so i wanna get things going again

ill check out the fuel pump tomorrow, or the fuel filter. damn i miss that ranchero so much.

6. luvzccr

luvzccr

i remember trying that when we were tryin to fire it up last time, it wasnt workin :-/ but i'll try it again tomorrow, ill try anything and everything tomorrow. i want that thing running again, i refuse to let it just sit there any longer

7. Nerdbynight

Nerdbynight

Sell the Hyundai and use the cash to fix the '58 or Ranchero.

In the mean time call in all your favors for rides to work and whatnot.

8. KK Hickey Designs

KK Hickey Designs

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/

The Ranchero should just be a matter of chasing down the fuel line till you find a kink I would think. Shouldn't be to hard if that is all it is. Only other thought would be a pump or filter. Both fairly easy fixes.

9. thepoz57

thepoz57

LOL!!! check your fuel pump...

10. Have 4 projects, 55 F100, 60 Chevy, 47 Chevy, 79 F100, one runs, but they all will, thats why we have them!!!

11. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Try a fuel pump. But first pour a little gas down carb and put some gas in car Fresh stuff Or sell all three and buy a new ride

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  12. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

To double the value of the Hyundai...just fill it with gas.... and sell it

13. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

I think you were 'henpecked' there son !!! LOL Anyway if the Ranchero hasn't run for a year DO NOT run it with any gas that is still in the tank,99% it has went bad and you use it you will be causing your self more triuble. Think stuck/bent valves etc. Disconnect the fuel line the the fuel pump ,prime carb. It fires and runs for a few seconds the ign. is OK. Hook a gallon can up to tank side of fuel pump ,prime carb . Start it ,see if pump is now working. If it is trouble is in line or tank.

14. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Your ex broke your hand? ;)

15. Frycook with a gym membership? Like Dave Ramsey would say "son, you have an income and spending problem". Lose the Hyunday, the gym, get one cheap old car running, sell the rest and look for a better job!

16. Open the distributer and with the switch on open and close the poijnts with a screw driver or a popsycle stick or about anything but your finger. Are the points sparking?
    No no sparks at the points, start checking for a reason that there is no zot to the points. maybe they are just dirty clean them or file them or replace them.

Yes they are? Now pull the coil wire, and spin it over, no spark comming out of the tower? Coil is toast. They have been known to go bad over night.

Spark at the coil? Button it up and start looking for a fuel problem. Disconnect the fuel line from the carb. Spin it over does gas come out of the line? yes then you problem is probably at th carb. No fuel comming from the fuel line?

Remove the line from the gas tank side of the fuel pump. Have someone go to the tank remove the cap and listen while you blow air through the line. Can they hear it gurgleing in the tank. Then I would suggest that you need a pump.

Can't blow air through the fuel line? Statr looking for an obstruction, a kink or? Don't hear gurgling in the tank but yes you do hear air somewhere? look for a break in the line.

Let us know what you find, if you don't know the solution someone will know what you need to do.

17. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Good advise Mr Pork'n'Beaner.

You hit the nail on the head ,I hope HE can follow thru.

18. Unless you've cleaned or changed the gas tank, a likely problem could be rust and crap in the bottom of the tank. The strap coming off of it stirred that up, and the lines, filter, pump, and carburetor could all have crap in them. I have a '61 Ranchero tank I'm not planning on using, but I'd have to see if it's any good.

I say the Ranchero is your best bet for transportation at this point and from this vantage point.

Thanks,
    Kurt

19. shortbed65

shortbed65
    from ne Ill

One culprit is the rubber fuel lines that jump between the tank to frame and frame to fuel pump they may collapse under suction

20. luvzccr

luvzccr

sorry i didnt update you guys, family problems..

but yea, got the ranchero going!
    i got some copper piping, and remade a whole new fuel line underneath the car, ran it from the gas tank to the fuel pump. started right up.

so now its my daily driver once again. gonna paint it and fix it up tomorrow. im shocked at how my dad was gonna sell it for 500 bucks... now i got it going again and gonna repaint it, get some new wheels soon, so when i do sell it, it'll be a lot higher than 500!

21. Glad to hear it's running. I don't know about copper line for fuel though. May want to get some advice on that.

22. ltex old iron

ltex old iron
    BANNED

id check the fuel line and filter, trace it from the carb to the tank, it could be stopped up un the tank, just something to check, maybe your fuel pump isnt working