Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Have you used Royal Purple products?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lono, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Lono

Lono

I've had a couple friends mention Royal Purple synthetic lubricant as of late.
    One uses their synthetic oil for high mileage cars and the other uses the auto tranny fluid. Both rave avout it's qualities.
    I was thinking of trying the tranny fluid in my 60 olds..... anyone have comments?

2. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

no and wont, too much hype surrounding this stuff, mostly with the import guys, you can do better for less. I pick oils based on test data that's around and Royal Purple isnt at the top (engine oil) this is for engines I care about and its usually Valvoline or Penrite for me.

Lono likes this.
  3. Can't speak to their motor oils (I didn't even know that they made any...) but their synthetic gear oils are top-notch. Popular for use in final/middle drives on shaft-drive bikes, it'll markedly reduce the running temp of them.

4. flamin01a

flamin01a

I know it's off topic, but I used their gear oil in my 71 bug, manual transaxle , fixed my 1-2 shift problem even downshifting. I will use it again even on the 61 chevy truck!

Lono likes this.

5. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

i used to use the oil in my avalanches, a race car guy i know always used the gear oil in rearends of race cars, swore they were cool to the touch after a race

6. I only use it in purple cars.

bobss396 and B Bay Barn like this.
  7. Gman0046

Gman0046

If you've ever read their brochure about Royal Purple products and the attributes of each of their products you would never use anything else. Their claims about Royal Purple products are amazing. Tomorrow I'm changing the oil in my 63 Impala (avatar) a 327 original 3oo HP engine with 500 miles on it that is now bored .060 over with TRW domed forged pistons, Comp Cam 262H cam and valve springs, double hump heads, balanced, headers and a Holley 670 CFM Street Avenger Carburetor. Today I just bought Royal Purple HPS (High Performance Street) motor oil for $7.99/quart at the local Napa store. Not a lot of money for a synthetic oil with lots of phosphorous and zinc in it thats specifically designed for flat tappet cams. I've got a lot of money tied up in that engine and am a little anal about using only quality products.

Gary

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    fortynut and czuch like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

No, I haven't.

9. dan31

dan31

Have not used it as of yet, sticking with Brad Penn oil .

kmrumedy and harris73085 like this.
  10. Allmotor

Allmotor

That's all I ever used in my 1025 HP NA small block race engine. Never had any issues.

Gman0046 likes this.
  11. waiting for a loan approval.......

slowmotion, belair, X38 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Gman0046

Gman0046

Nothing wrong with Brad Penn, I just have no place where I can buy it locally.

Gary

13. If ya moved out of Possums Crouch Ky ya might be able to find it Gary

czuch, tfeverfred and Gman0046 like this.
  14. Gman0046

Gman0046

Don, good point.

Gary

czuch and da34guy like this.
  15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I think, if I had a freshly built engine, I'd probably use their oil. The quality has been proven. But for an older engine, I'd think a regular commercial grade oil would be okay and cheaper.

16. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I had mobil 1 in my OT motorcycle. (97 Valkyrie) Felt like it lost a lot and became a wheezer.
    I put in the 20-50 RP and it felt new again. I used it for 3 years and bit the bullet every time I ordered it.
    This time I went AMSOIL,. It runs and shifts pretty much the same.

17. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

its been a few years & granted it was on tv, but one of the sunday morning power block shows took a stock 80's Camaro & dynoed it. then replaced coolant, oil & filter, trans fluid, rear end grease with royal purple stuff and re-dynoed it. showed a 10% increase in power.

18. slowmotion

slowmotion

Supposedly their gear oil is the shit. Never tried it, outa my tax bracket.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  19. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Using the advice from the old fella who set up my gears "retired petty enterprises" gear guy, I used royal purple synthetic 75w140 In my open wheel dirt mod's diff. Weekly we'd shoot the 9 inch Ford floater's 3rd member after weekly features & the hand held temp gun did notice a slight drop in temp as compared to non synthetic. But I cringed at the thought of loosing a drop of it when I swapped 3rd members , it's not cheap. But after many many laps it contributed no failure & that's worth mentioning. Flux

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  20. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

I was into road racing Corvette from 04 to 10 and wouldn't use anything else. When I put the tranny fluid in my 04 Z06 I could tell the difference on the first shift. When you walked around the pit's there were many racers using RP. Great products.

21. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

My son-in-law is a chemical engineer at a local chemical plant here in oiltown. When he started his job at the plant they had been using nothing but RP products in all their machinery. Several years later they decided the RP products were so good and did their job so well that they bought the company. The product is still made just north of Houston as before though.

flux capacitor likes this.
  22. I used it for one oil change on my 355, but was pretty expensive locally. Been using Brad Penn or Kendall racing oil that I find locally. I buy oil filters at Summit, Wix XP and I get 4 at a time.