Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Have you used a old wire wheel, mag or rim for a outdoor water hose hanger??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 28, 2019.

1. I am tired of the hose lying beside the shop or in the driveway in front of one of the overhead garage doors and I have several candidates I can transform into something fitting to be just outside the garage door, what did you guys use? does it spin in place ot do you have to wrap the hose around it?

I was thinking along the line of mounting a wheel on a spindle and the spindle on a 3 foot post where it would turn but I haven't figured how to have the hose connected to the water source and still be able to wind the hose up on the rim.

If you have a photo please share it with us.HRP

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    3W JOHN likes this.
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

When I had my shop I used them for air hose allso.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. I've got a pretty nice looking chrome slot hanging on the wall for a water hose. It's been there for about 30 years. You have to roll the hose up though, it doesn't spin. :)

4. 392

It doesn’t rotate but fits the bill. DB9B15B8-2C36-4C47-B56C-1E0A4ECBF7D5.jpeg AF84C70B-C098-4D04-926A-840D462E4611.jpeg

5. I powder coated a Model A wheel to use as a hose reel at the house. Haven't fabbed a mount to secure it to the wall yet... That'll be a winter project.

6. 26Troadster

26Troadster

yes a pontiac rally wheel, but the best part was i would rig the hose to where when you turned the water on it would wash your eyes outta your head for you. yes i did get cussed a lot.

7. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Yes, ‘28 - ‘29 Ford wires are 21” and easily hold 50’ of hose

8. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I have a 32 Ford wheel for my outside hose.

9. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

I had a two old torque thrust D's from the 60s that I had been hauling around for 20+ years that were not being used so I mounted one to the back of my house for my garden hose to hang on. It was right next to the back door to the garage and I don't have a water faucet in the front of the house on the outside so it was real handy plus looked really good. That was it did look nice and someone else thought it would look better at their house and it got stolen about 3 years ago.
    It was a old rim that had come with a 1964 Chevy Impala I bought from a friend a long time ago. Both had some hair line cracks in the spokes and I kept them for my water hose and a air hose inside the garage. I would have never used these on a car because of the cracks.
    I just hope Karma caught up with the rat-bastard that stole the one from my back yards and took my hose too.

10. HRP, I have a store bought, wall mounted, plastic roller for my hose. I have a mag wheel that I was thinking of using, but didn't because it is handier to spool up a long 3/4 inch hose, than it is to hand wind it.
    What I was going to suggest, was that you go down to the nearest big box store, and have a look at how the rotating part of the hose is attached to the spool. I don't think it would be that difficult to copy the mechanism. Maybe it would be possible to just buy the parts you need separately from the store.
    Bob

11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a cracked ET slotted aluminum wheel holding up the tongue of my boat trailer.

12. the flatlander

the flatlander

At 75, I can still pretty much roll up any hoses, so that's ok. I have a 15 x 14 polished ARE TT lag bolted to a corner of my shop, it'll hold 2 hoses ok. (it has a dinged up outer rim. good story, too long here). U wouldn't believe how many want to buy it , bfd. Inside is the 15 x 6 to match, scraped up too. Air hose on it or two. All next to a ratty 34 Ford pickup cab outside .....really ratty ! Hey we gotta talk about somethin' huh ? enjoy life guys

Attached Files:

13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

B704C16B-FB7D-451E-8FFB-48B7A159B686.jpeg I’ve got one leaned up by the garage... for it! I will get around to putting it up....soon! It’s a 16 inch GMC military spoke wheel, I found.

Bones

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  14. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I powdercoated a 35 ford wire wheel. I'm going to redo it and mount it on a spindle so it turns. Major PITA as is, hose gets twisted up.

I will use a spare Kelsey hayes bent spoke on the next revision..... 20191028_191828.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

15x10 crager as a air hose reel in garage

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Mine was a reversed '49 Merc center with an Olds outer, reversed. A $1 swap meet beauty ring and a cherry'd out and polished stainless '50 Merc ash can cap looked nice, with the 3/4" black heavy water hose wrapped around it.
    So nice that some honyock made off with my wheel! ...And left the hose...hose weighed 50 lbs...
    Danny, I think @j-jock is spot-on, Lowes has something like that: Brass or steel, it's an O-ring surrounded joint that spins smoothly, is flanged for a vertical surface, and has a standard water hose 'bib' in the center.
    Edit: I now recall it was the Merced Plumbing Supply, a wholesale distributor.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    3W JOHN, j-jock and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. Thanks, I have to go to Lowes tomorrow so this is timely, I can get started gathering up parts for a cold rainy day this winter. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  18. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I found a chevy artillery wheel at the dump when I hauled a load of tires. I asked at the front office if I could have it. I brought it home blasted, painted it and hung it on my pole for a air hose.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      176.5 KB
      Views:
  19. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I just have an old wheel, it doesnt turn. If you wanted to hand fabricate something, try McMaster Carr or Grainger, and search for rotating joint. Fairly common thing in industry for air, water, steam and such. Good Luck

Boneyard51, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. I pull up Grainger and see what they have to offer. HRP

Boneyard51 and 3W JOHN like this.
  21. Got 4 UGLY 20 " Billet wheels given 2 me years ago. Hung em on the walls in the shop, 3 for air hoses, 1 for water hose.
    Best use for a 20" billet wheel I've ever found !!!!!!!!!

22. after pricing a rotating joint I'm rethinking making it work like a reel, I'll just wind the g=hose around the wheel. HRP

23. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Danny, you need to come by my place and see how I did mine.

Boneyard51 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. 53 hemi

53 hemi

alfin32, The37Kid, i.rant and 4 others like this.
  25. Have an old Model A wire wheel to hold the air hose in the garage. Used the original spare tire mount to bolt it to the wall. Contemplated making a plate between the wheel and mount so the wheel would spin, but it's pretty far down the list of things to do.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. The guy next to me was shit canning this at the dump; I jumped in the pit to retrieve it. I sent a pic to Hot Rod magazine and they printed it. Hose Reel.jpg

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I lived in McGregor Tx I hauled a nearly new deep chrome reverse that someone had hit something with and bent the inside lip pretty bad. Drilled a hole in the lip to put a nail though it and nailed it to the side of the house next to the water faucet. I saw more than one high school kid stop and get out and run up and check it out.
    I've got a 35 wire that someone torched the center out of just inside the lug holes that will end up with a hose or extension cord on it in my shop.

Boneyard51 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I was helping my neighbor clean out a shed and he had this empi wheel and was going to haul it to the dump.

Attached Files:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Last time I did this I used an old VW Rabbit rim as an experiment to try the electrolysis method of derusting. It did a good job of removing the rust and paint too. So I painted it with a couple of coats of Tremclad and hung it outside the house for a hose reel.
    The impressive thing is, I did this 20 years ago and there is not a spot of rust on it. The electrolysis treatment seems to be really good for killing rust.
    Never heard of mounting one on a spindle. Just bolt or screw to the wall. A modern steel wheel, especially off a front drive car, works well turned around backwards (easier to fasten to the wall).

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have 2 Fenton Gyro Racing 15 x 3 1/2. 5 on 5 1/2 BC holding hose in and extension cords in my garage .

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.