Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects have you seen voodo larrys latest

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 0NE BAD 51 MERC, Feb 19, 2015.

1. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I seen this on Rik,s Custom Car Chronicle forum site . It is going to be amazing. He started with a Kayser 4 door and is building his version of the Golden Sierra! I couldn't seem to upload the link but maybe one of you can. But you need to check it out! Larry

2. What's the link? HRP

3. Its like a link sausage link. it looks good on the outside but who knows what it is really stuffed with. :D

Mystery link for sure.

Sorry I am not familiar with Riks site.

1927graham and kiwijeff like this.
  4. No,no,no Beeno,not What's in the link,we already know that snips & snails and puppy dog tails are in the link! :D HRP

5. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

6. I don't do FB. HRP

Hnstray and kiwijeff like this.
  7. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

8. slammed

slammed

Wow! Thank's for the heads up, this car is gonna be neat. Larry is a soft spoken, talented guy. Mucho thanks for the Rikster for keeping abreast on the new builds.

9. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

10. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Blanket question to many of you. I always blast my projects before starting. Why would you want to tear into this with all the paint on it? just extra work to grind it of each time you work a new area. I dont get it.

11. I can see two reasons one is if you are planning to cut out and discard vast areas of the original sheet metal why pay to have it stripped and two if you are somewhere that flash rusting occurs you would need to epoxy the whole thing immediately after stripping and then have to grin that paint off to work on it anyways.

12. slammed

slammed

What don't you get? Leaving the paint on prevents rust until you need to work that area. Stripping then priming means the same thing. That question should be on it's own thread as a poll/why ask why.

13. I generally sandblast or grind the areas I intend to cut out and replace,it all depends on the weather..

The first photo we used a grinder to access solid metal in preparation to installing patch panels,,it was snowing and cold outside.

[​IMG]

And a example of sandblasting areas when the weather was good and then replaced metal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wait until all the patch panels have been installed to sandblast the entire car. HRP

[​IMG]

14. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

excellent work, thanks for the link

15. wvenfield

wvenfield

Pretty nice start for a "crappy parts car".

slammed likes this.
  16. Some of not knowing could be related to ones location. I am not sure what Colorado is like but I could leave bare steel in my garage for 10 year and have no surface rust on it where I live

17. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

K13, Yes, same here. My 57 was blasted and worked on in the garage for several years and no flash rust occurred. Sure helped the process. Areas that we thought were fine came out with holes. Just me, but working on clean bare metal is so much easier.

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'll probably get "slammed" for this but as I'm sure most of you know; there are a myriad number of approaches to this process, equal to the individuals' reason for choosing their particular process.
    My particular approach to this matter involved a lot of hand stripping over a long period of time on my OT 66 Suburban, as well as a major change in income earning(very long story).
    To my point; I use a product called Rust Mort, watery consistency, not a rust stabilizer.
    Not sure this formula is still available anymore, body/fender/painters can chime in.
    This product has been on this project for near 20 years and other than some dust and places where people feel compelled to touch the bare metal(what's up with that) it looks as applied.
    I swear by this stuff--individual results may vary.
    Rust mort.jpg

19. alchemy

alchemy

Even here in humid Iowa we can leave stuff sandblasted in the garage for years and it will be clean as the day it was blasted. Just keep your mitts off of it.

20. Humid Iowa, huh...try the sweltering Gulf Coast. 3 days (sometimes less) and we've got surface rust. It's a nightmare (except for our non-freezing winters) :D

21. alchemy

alchemy

It's been know to happen here in the midwest (where the VooDoo Sahara is being built also) for us to have 100 degree days with 95 percent humidity. The worst time for bare metal in the garage is in the spring when the frost comes out of the ground and the concrete floor sweats.

22. slammed

slammed

Yes it does ooze like slime. PNW has rain like every day, right? A slam :)d) dunk to use some of those specific products for keeping flash rust to a minimum. DP 90 wipes right off w/a lacquer damp rag right before working metal. BUT the original topic is this very neat build, correct? Now, you hens find another roost. Cluck-cluck, yo'.

23. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Thanks slammed! I just wanted to share a real craftsman's vision that one mans junk can become a great work of automotive art! This is why I don't post much. They always get side tracked!! Check out the link or go start your own thread!! Larry

The37Kid and slammed like this.
  24. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

wow that is some incredible artistry in metal , thank you for posting a link , as I wouldn't have seen this build unless it ended up in a magazine

25. Whoh, that is going to be a wild custom.

26. That is one "over the top" custom! Beautiful work!

27. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I can not wait to see it completed.

28. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Why does he always make it look easy?

slammed likes this.
  29. lukey

lukey

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448325620.706623.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448325631.177467.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448325640.186338.jpg

These are from voodoos fb page. Hope he doesn't mind me sharing them.

ace5043 likes this.
  30. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Wow, there's a little futura in that! Gary