Register now to get rid of these ads!

have you seen the "NEW" hot rod magazine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57ford/60thunderbird, Jul 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muttley

Muttley

I have a subscription but havent received the new issue yet. I'm guessing I wont notice anything new. It's hard to complain when you get three years worth of issues for twelve bucks though.

2. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

My grandson was selling subs to support his baseball team..................:D

Then the bride dropped the order form on the table in front of me and tapped on it three times......:cool:

I suddenly had this great urge to have Hot Rod delivered to my mailbox.........:rolleyes:

3. customcory

customcory

Everytime my kids would do the sell subscriptions at school scam, I would always get my Hot Rod like that. But its so cheap , its allright. I would hate to ever see it go away!

4. 2002p51

2002p51

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is easy to jump on the "they suck" band wagon, but my advise is to open your mind a bit and I promise you will find something you like. You will not see a 32 Ford on every page because that is not what they do, but there is still plenty of traditional rodding stuffed in those pages.

-Abone.

6. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

I think that Marlan Davis is still writing GREAT Tech articles for HRM. That bugger's one of the sharpest guys in the industry.

Occasionally, those guys @ Hot Rod have a flash of brilliance & do something really interesting, like the Bugatti/A-bone rod last month. That tallies up to 1 out of 3 issues by my estimate. Who really cares about some 1980's Camaro build? Or the R-Rs of the last few months?

Ya get what you pay for & for $5 per year, I get enough stuff I want to read to make up 1 issue...

It says a lot, in that nobody seems to collect the new issues like we did when we were kids.

7. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Haven't seen the "NEW" Hot Rod yet, although it should be in my mailbox soon. It's a very inexpensive magazine to subscribe to, so I get my money's worth.

8. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

That Ambr winner is about as cool as they get. You could send me your copy.

9. I like it as most every issue has some information that is useful but the small font is harder to read, I kinda like the new format outside of that.

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think Hot Rod is lost in an identity crisis. Fuck tradition. Hot Rod Magazine should be about going fast with American ingenuity. It shouldn't be about 32 fords, 57 chevys, or 69 camaros....

They should be doing things like taking a C5 Corvette and making it perform better than a $225,000 Ferrari 458.

11. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

I still have a Hot Rod subscription along with subs to several other car mags. I love the HAMB and the cars here, but, I am not locked into one genre of hot rods. I like them all. If I was rich and had the room to keep them, I can name twenty different vehicles from all manufactures (American that is) that I would own in a heartbeat from the twenties to the seventies. Even some so called rat rods have some very good backyard ingenuity and engineering. Isn't that what the first hot rods were all about: going fast with backyard ingenuity and engineering? What is tradional? and by whose standard? Is traditional black cars with red steel wheels? Hot Rod magazine still tries to show what is going on in the world of hot rodding from the old to the new. I'm stepping down from my soap box now.

12. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I have wonderful fond memories of "Hot Rod Magazine"....but, I'm 61, therefore I also have fond memories of NHRA, respect for authority, music that didn't peel paint, people who weren't "super-sized", and when folks had a difference of opinion they didn't start screaming at each other....

Yes, boys and girls....fond, fond memories....but sadly just memories....

Clue the violins for added effect....

13. Stu55

Stu55
    from Dallas Tx

I'd like to see Ryans idea, and I also agree with Rustednutz. I subscribe to Hot Rod, and sometimes I go to the book store and read all the other car mags. No magazine can be all things to all people. Guess thats why there are so many of them now.

14. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I am enjoying the newest copy which just arrived at my house today There is plenty to stir the imagination and I think Hot Rod did a fine job of shaking it up this month.

I wonder how many of the complainers have even seen the new format yet...

15. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I used to like it, actually got a subscription 2 yrs ago as I like where Fri was taking the mag .. Now. I HATE IT. HATE IT. HATE IT. hotrod please go back to what it was. and the worse cover if you are coming out with a new look. what are they trying to say.. go buy a over the top sportscar or build a ratrod..

I feel like i have ADD... to much shit, tidbits of info all over the place. micro size pictures of readers projects. when I am on the shitter I occassionally grab the wife girl mag.. similar format (helps me shit faster as I can not stand looking at those either) please fire the person who came up with it the new format before it is to late.. (and please do not tell me Fri did this.) I will not be renewing, even if it was $4.99 a year..

Please get back to focusing on Drag Week (before,during and after) and Power Tour (that could take 4 or 5 issues... one issue per stop) and show the cars that attend. Keep showing pictures from the archives in the 50-70s... use the other issues to cover the trends but kep it about hotrods

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  16. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

It sux. I only have a subscription because my nephew was selling magazines for school. I won't be renewing it!

17. I'm sure I'm gonna catch hell for this, but regardless of what you think of the mag, I actually like the car on the cover. Minus the silly sailor jerry theme, I see it as a paint job away from being well complimented on this site.

[​IMG]

18. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hey hey , read the latest issue, some cool stuff still....

19. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I agree with you to a point, Ryan, but not in your comparison. The C5 Vettes never really "did it" for me, and I couldn't care less which one wins. Mostly because the C5 ('97-04) was still a computer-driven, sensor-laden, Tupperware wrapped... eh, car, for lack of a better term.

Any time a kid can sit down at a laptop and remap the fuel delivery system and squeeze out more horsepower, well, I call that "artificial horsepower". I don't believe in it simply because it is horsepower that was already there, but for reasons unknown, was locked away.

That (to me) isn't hot-rodding. Yes, there are a MULTITUDE of physical alterations that can be done to a C5 to increase performance as well, QUITE POSSIBLY making one into a formidable opponent for a 458, but at the end of the day, it still has an ECU/PCM, and what you'll end up with is a $225,000 C5 in the competition.

Now, show me an issue where that ABSOLUTELY SICK light blue '63 Galaxie (the "street friendly" one in another thread here on the HAMB) is pitted against a $225,000 Ferrari 458, oh yeah, I'm buying. I'll buy TWO! Win or lose, what kind of a fight would it put up? Could a carbureted gasoline running V8 be made into a something that might give a Ferrari 458 a hell of a run? In someone's garage? And without a Corporate budget? THAT'S hot-rodding to me. Just an opinion, nobody has to agree with me.

20. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Even the "good" magazines are starting to suck lately. The world and the economy is literally that bad. They can't even sell subscriptions at half or 1/3 of their original price and the dollar is down to half (or less?) of it's value from the late 90's early 2000's. This is a horrible metaphor for how bad the world has gotten because this formula pretty much applies to everything.

No wonder the quality is down so much...we should appreciate the fact that it still is what it is even if it's just an empty shell of it's former self, much like most things these days.

21. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

i got it and i personally think it's fuckin awesome. there's literally something to read on every square inch of every page. you guys must be some super trad hot rod elitists if you think hot rod is really that bad. i mean wtf else are you reading? car & driver? motor trend? ha yeah right. at least hot rod makes the effort. there's no other car mag out there that has as much gearhead material as this latest issue has, guaranteed.

22. Muttley

Muttley

My copy arrived today, I didnt really notice anything different other the number of pages. The cover cars were nearly enough for me to toss it straight into the dumper.

[​IMG]

23. deto

deto

It would be the face book of car magazines. It would start out as a way to buck the trend... To destroy the "MySpace" era of self importance and get back to a realm of false modesty.

Until circulations approached the millions... Then exclusivity is buried and the HAMB dies

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Price is right and they cut a wide swath that doesn't bother me a tall. I picked it up again a few years ago (still wear my beat up freebie hat) and intend to continue. I also like HR Deluxe very much, but it's a tad expensive. If it was 12 per year I'd reup in a flash. Lots of the other rags are also running historical pieces now, anyway.

25. Latest one is out with a rat rod on the cover.
    Brilliant public perception decision.
    The editor is in a Lambo in the background, so I guess it's all right.
    Oh yeah, I, too, have the cool hat from Louisville, so a buck an issue isn't bad.

26. I have a subscription via my kid's school fund raiser and just got mine in the mail yesterday. My first impressions are it's better than opening a bill. The photography, as always, is good to great. I don't mind the cars that are not friendly to this forum as I've owned muscle cars,etc.

Between the two,

27. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

The new format and smaller font kinda drive me nuts, and the whole front of the magazine is an ad for the current issue of all it's "sister" publications.

That said I agree with Ryan. Hot rod deluxe is great for the trad stuff, but hot rod should be cutting edge new camaro's,mustangs,challengers, and real motorsports like drag week. All ls motors and turbos for big power. Motor swaps into older cars of newer motors would be fine, and a big power drag week car in every issue to keep readers excited to see the coverage.

28. Sorry, fat fingered the send button on my iPhone app!

Between the two rags, I prefer Hot Rod Deluxe. But I thought it would be interesting to dissect the RR on the cover and take it to H.A.M.B friendly in the fewest steps. One person said paint only. What say you?

29. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Anytime I get the urge to look at HOT ROD I dig out my 50's and 60's issues. In my opinion the new ones suck. Thats just what I think, no hate mail from you Camaro and Lambo fans please!

30. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

I dont care for Hot Rod,but i do like Hot Rod Deluxe...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.